Friday, June 17

Grumbling..but...

Yesterday's work load was a lot like Wednesdays..I am a big mess of bruises, scratches and soreness.  BUT..the yard looks kind of like a yard!
We're getting somewhere!
We might finish before we die!

And for those of you who asked...
Butt Apology Zinnias...two pots worth

More Gerberas...also Butt Apology flowers
I know my *landscaping* goes from stone to rubber mulch.  It's not all matching and ..well..attractive.
 I just figured with my love of giant fire, we needed a stone barrier between Sam Fires and the wood deck.  Michael suggested a 14 foot concrete wall surrounded by a moat and manned by a volunteer fireman, but I felt that was overkill.

I manged to make dinner last night, too.
Grilled shrimp with sage butter, corn on the cob and..YAY...zucchini from the garden.  FINALLY something produced (aside from lettuce and herbs).
I laughed at this ridiculous knife until I realized it was the sharpest thing EVER.

Part of the Chaos Garden
Yes, I need mulch.  Stop staring at my exposed weed paper.

Last year I noticed Titmice are great for eating Mexican Bean Beetles (their larva, rather), so this year I put a dish of shelled sunflower seed in the beans..the titmice are in there constantly.  Take that, you beetle bastards!  MY beans.
Everything seems to have survived the Groundhog invasion..except the swiss chard.  I planted more, so no huge worry there.
Brave Baby is sent to scout...

before the others will come out of the den.


I was crouched down taking a photo when I noticed Pig hurrying toward me..followed by one of the babies!  There will be NO taming of the babies.
 I jumped up and made scary monster noises while flapping my arms..
If that baby ever recovers from the shock, it sure as hell won't trust people.  Ever.

Pig didn't bat an eyelash...and that's why I'm very against wild animals being treated like pets.  If I intended to harm her, she wouldn't stand a chance.  Hopefully, she lives out her life with us.
I can't believe I just said that.


14 comments:

  1. Yay zucchini! We have eaten our first zucchini too. So exciting :-).

    Oh Pig :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I make very sure that all of the creatures that live around here are scared to death of me. No tame critters for me. Of course, then I have to sneak around to get a glimpse of them, but, that's OK.

    And, don't apologize for your garden, at least you have one, and it's feeding you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i guess if pig continues to have babies over and over, you'll keep deporting them to save your garden? oh the life of a single mother... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama GHogs kick their once-a-year litters out early. They aren't social animals, either, so no hanging out with mom past weaning.
    Contrary to our Beatrix Potter-filled brains, I won't be robbing Pig of time with her children ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can't believe you already have zucchini! Sure wish we did! Your garden looks great! I just can't imagine having a ground hog that isn't scared of anyone around your yard like that!

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh no! you're going soft! :oD

    and ceramic knives are the shit. i probably wash mine 3 times a day instead of just grabbing another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha...Oh I always scroll through your post and think of comments to make on everything you say - but I end up laughing out loud at every other word you type. You really make my day. ANd I pictured you yelling and flapping at that big approaching Pig and now I can't quit laughing;)))
    (I really would like that knife. Mine are so dull...and I even like the color of yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ARE going soft on us! I love it.

    Those knives don't LOOK sharp. Now you have me wanting to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Michael has fantastic taste in flowers. Also, I'm incredibly impressed that you've got produce worth harvesting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam it looks great there! I would love to come and sit and view your bit of country and EAT your grilled shrimp and zukes :)

    The critters, I can't even go there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...and how often do those Ghogs have...litters? DO they have litters...or just a couple at a time? hopefully not like rabbits...

    NICE flowers...and home grown produce. unfortunately...the FEW pepper plants i planted this year became a deer snack one night!

    that moat's a good idea...i might have to do that between our burn pile & house...as Sam here...can get a little carried away...flames as tall as the trees...
    oh yeah...and cool storm cloud pic's!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad I found your blog (and thanks for visiting mine). You make me laff. And that green knife is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden appears to be growing... Hmmm... I'm definitely not going to criticize.

    ReplyDelete