Monday, February 25

Gardening thoughts.

I'm already feeling blah about this upcoming garden season.


I can't decide what in HELL I'm planting this year.  Isn't this why God invented grocery stores?
 I'm not looking forward to starting my tomatoes. Usually, I'm quivering with excitement about what rare/heirloom/etc toms to try this year.
Last year, we had Tomato Smallpox...maybe Tomato Marburg (a hemorrhagic fever virus, for those of you that don't read viral epidemiology texts for funsies).
  Every single plant died an unholy death, leaving me begging for tomatoes on street corners.
I don't think I can go through that again.

I've tried the eco friendly approach. That got me tomato plague and squash borers and I don't know what in the name of sweet baby Jesus attacked my green beans.
I'm ready for straight up chemical warfare, but I'm trying to ingest as little Death Chemicals as possible.  We'll see how that plays out.

I'm making the choices today..running out of time to get things ordered and started.


8 comments:

  1. I hear you. Squash bugs took me o ut last year

    ReplyDelete
  2. gardening is not for the weak hearted.

    Around here I have to design garden beds that can keep rattlesnakes from hiding in them... :o !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am super excited because I am trying a new crop and in a somewhat big way...it will be really cool and interesting or will make me hate life...hmmm...not too convincing when I say it that way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up!! I know YOU can beat 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always something. If your tomatoes aren't attacked by the fungus from hell then your neighbors decide your home is the dumping ground for their abundant crop of zucchini. If the chemical warfare doesn't work then there are evil weed seeds hiding in that organic fertilizer you spread. Like Feral said, "gardening is not for the weak hearted."

    ReplyDelete
  6. you make me relieved i don't garden. :) of course, i'd need to have it already planted here or it would burn up by may. :)

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope Springs eternal;
    Spring Hopes eternally




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral
    ~ > < } } ( ° > <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you writing again! Your sense of humor is the fix I need as I sit in my cubicle eating a Snicker’s bar for lunch – comfort food.

    I’m participating in a gardening experiment with a professor at the local state college. Of course, when I’m involved, any gardening activity is always an experiment, but this time it’s official. I’m going to be growing different sorts of lettuce, basil and greens in a non-fancy hydroponics setup. It took me forever to pick out my seeds. But as for things like tomatoes, I’m doing the same thing that I did last year – let someone more talented (and with more time) than me get those seedlings going.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete