Wednesday, February 15

I have decided..

It is definite.
At least until the next round of seed catalogs show up.
I placed my tomato seed order from Tomato Bob.
 Fantastic seed..and hello..his name is Tomato Bob.  How can I not support someone named Tomato Bob!?

The rest of my veg seeds were purchased from Jung.
I'm relatively sure I ordered the correct amount of seed, regarding space.
  Last year, I became delusional and thought we had 348 acres to plant, instead of 4 large-ish raised beds and assorted containers.
Thank God I have family and friends nearby...I *gifted* the leftover ton of seeds.
And then the leftover plants I started.
Annnnd then the leftover vegetables I got sick of dealing with.
---

The hawk was back again today, eating more crow scraps.
The general consensus is that she's a juvenile red-tailed hawk (votes coming from my birder friends).
Several votes went to a juvenile red-shouldered hawk, but she's already larger than the 2 adult red-shouldered hawks we have around.
I gave up...I was driving myself crazy comparing tail bars and blahblahblah.  It was like trying to ID sparrows!
She's "The Hawk".
I have decided she's female...pretty much because I said so.
No sexual dimorphism in red-tailed hawks, dontcha know.
I didn't..and be careful Googling anything containing the phrases "sexual" and "red-tailed".
You have been warned.




Today's crow goodies contained raw pork skin, part of a pecan pie (purchased, and hideous) a donated deer leg (I have strange friends)... the hawk LOVED the pork skin.
No idea where the crows were.  They usually run the hawks off if there are good goodies!

Crows like pie.

16 comments:

  1. laughing at the googling warning. i've missed you, samantha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to keep the hawks away because we have chickens. And I am feeling like all the sparrows are flying mice because they are multiplying like crazy and eating half the chicken feed. There is never quite the right balance. The Magpies are always around and I know the Scrub Jays will be back soon looking for chicken eggs. I just want to see some pretty, non-invasive birds hand around for a while so I can take some pretty photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had something to say, but when I got to the "sexual/red-tailed" part, I completely forgot what it was! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It kind of feels to me as though the hawk has arrived to keep us all entertained until Pig wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hawk won't try to eat Pig will it? I sure hope not! We LOVE Pig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try and dig out a recipe for you so you can make 'crow pie'.

    Oh the irony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a hawk living in my (very urban) yard too... Huge bird, I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw it sitting on the fence!:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool bird!

    Tomato Bob? Yeah, I'd give him my seed business ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondering if there will be a confrontation if/when Pig shows up to collect his scraps and the hawk is busy eating them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooooo funny thinking about your google search!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have missed you. you made my morning and maybe my whole dang day. Love your humor and bird excitement
    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  12. But tomato seeds are so SMALL and innocent looking. And there are so many COOL looking varieties (even if half the ones I end up with are those cherry tomatoes that turn into and infestation). Every year I swear I won't plant too many and every year I fail.

    Putting in my seed order tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. I think hawks have cute legs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm such a city slicker that I don't think I've ever seen a hawk! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does look like a red-tail. "Hawks love pork." Haha. Made my morning. Love your wildlife tales. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. those crows.
    i've seen them chase a hawk out of the tree out back...
    and chase and chase...over the field and through the woods...

    nice pic's of HER!

    waiting for pig...

    ReplyDelete