Tuesday, February 14

*cough*

You...look familiar..
Have we met?

I admit.
I am full of Suck when it comes to keeping up with blogs (mine and others).
I get distracted, busy, lazy, life happens.
Anyway. I'm back.  Back-ish.

-----------------
Bird babble:
In January, I saw a juvenile Bald Eagle! Pardon the blur, but my hands were shaking so badly....
Exciting stuff!  I've only seen them 4 times in my life, and this was the first photo for me!

"Hey..what IS that?! Is it...no...wait...LOOK OMG LOOOOK!"




At one point I was stuffed under Jeremy's arm and out the driver's side window..thank God there was no traffic.  We were stopped in the middle of the highway (clear line of sight for traffic.  Safety first, folks.)
Well, until the state cops drove by and slowed way down to eyeball us.

Since Pig is still hibernating, Nature has decided to bestow another Pig-like creature on me.
Remember my whole theory on feeding the crows?
I feed the crows, the crows chase the owls and hawks away from the songbirds...that was the deal.
Wrong.
I've looked outside several times to see this hawk eating right next to the crows!


Poofy hawk butt. C'mon, how cute is that?


I tried explaining that songbirds are supposed to live in mortal terror of hawks...they laughed.
What is WRONG with the wildlife in my yard??
The pair of red-shouldered hawks is still here...very sweet to watch them together.
The backyard bird count is this weekend!
Will you be counting?
You don't have to do all four days...take a 15 minute block and join in!

22 comments:

  1. Thrilled to have you back. Now just stay with us, will ya?

    GREAT pics! I chase the crows away from here as they bother my song birds. Love the furry butt of that hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Love the furry butt. LMBO!!!

    I haven't forgotten you - I swear it on all birds I see.

    Glad you're back - I've missed your gorgeous photos!!!!

    robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who you are, but congrats on the eagle sighting! That's cool! I'm slightly disturbed by your fascination with hawk butts, but since I don't know you, I guess it's not a big deal. Nice to see you posting again, whoever you are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you. I love those hawk pics. Take care. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. good to see you back... dont sweat it though.... blogging should be fun. not a chore

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW... When you come back you do it in high fashion. Congrats on your eagle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poofy hawk butt is waaaay better than poofy Lynn butt! Good to see you:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL about the poffy hawk...I was told by "birders" that a hawks prey is something much more substantial than "birdies"...smaller hawks (Cooper's Hawk, Sharp Shin) will go after birds like Jays...good to hear from you again!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to have you back! Sad that Pig is still snoozing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, missed you. Glad it was just life happening and not too much else.

    So did Pig come out at all on Feb 2. (Like it really ever matters)

    I'm so with you on being jazzed to finally snag an eagle photo or two. I finally got some good ones while you were away:

    http://bonkersycarax.blogspot.com/2012/02/already-gone.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice shots! birder extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang...I'm not a "everyday" blogger either. Life.

    AMAZING captures of the Eagle and Hawk. Dang...lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya re the blogging. I'm a blog vacuum at the moment. Nothing.

    You have some awesome birds in you back yard Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, look who it is! =) Great photos. Looks VERY winterish in your neck of the woods. We are looking forward to temps in the 70's today. Not sure how I feel about that....

    ReplyDelete
  15. No pressure -- I'm happy you decided to post -- but if you disappear again, I understand. This blogging business is an addiction. Run! ;)

    Cool captures of the eagle and hawks. Good eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought about you on groundhog day!

    OMG, I can't believe someone would say that about your PROFILE picture!!!

    You are seeing so many cool birds! Great pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha...our hawk and the crows SHARE the junk I put out for them...then the hawk goes and sits in the waterpan to cool his heels :^( Then I have to go out and fill other odds and ends with water so that the other 472 birds can drink :^(
    I forgot about the bird count, but our backyard would break the counter....EVERYBODY shows up at one time and another.....lookin' for a handout, like the democat in the house :^)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's not too often that you have an eagle siting...and your camera available at the same time.

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just to show how bad I've been at keeping up, were you missing? Just kidding. Yes I've felt the lack of chaos, well, as far as your blog, as far as in my life, it all continues undaunted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I would have been shaking too if I seen an Eagle! Incredible! And you guys got way more snow than we did. If Pig lived at my house she would already be out and about looking for some carbs! lol It was 70 degrees here today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow that hawk looks huge
    glad you are back I knew sooner or later you would return!
    missed you
    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete