Thursday, October 20

Remembering..

Michael and I were hiking last summer, one of the little used trails in our local park.
As we're walking along in silence, we start hearing crashing in the brush far off the trail.
Those of you who live or hike in eastern woodland know how thick that brush can be.  No chance of seeing something until it's gnawing on your head.
The dogs became very alert, very still..listening.
I told Michael that is no deer..it sounds too big..but, we don't have bears here.

The sound gets closer.. we all tense.

Two ladies burst out of the brush down the path from us, both cussing and very upset.
Irie, of course, lets out her Swamp Beast roar and scares these poor women into simultaneous shrieks.
  I left Michael with the dogs and hurried to them, apologizing for scaring them to death.
The ladies calm down enough to tell us they went off the trail and have been lost for an hour or so..scared to death..never been here before, or in this state before.
They've never hiked in the woods before.
(PSA:  Stay on the blazed trails if you are new!  Even better, ask the park staff what trails are blazed clearly and stick with those!)
The women are behaving strangely..moving slightly away..passing glances..
What the hell? Do I stink?

We point them in the direction they need to go and they take off like bats out of hell.
I'm peeved.  I didn't have to apologize for the dog scaring them...and I did offer help.
We continue on, and Michael bursts out laughing.

I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "Bring a compass.  It's awkward when you have to eat your friends".

29 comments:

  1. I am dying laughing here all by myself here in the dark on the couch. I hope I don't wake up CH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Where on earth did you find that shirt?! So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, check out 'Mountain Life' on Amazon..
    I have the "Nothing to fear but fear itself..and bears" shirt, too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice! where can i get that shirt?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for a good laugh this am...dreary rainy day here in Ohio .. I'm headed out to Louisville, Kentucky with my son . He has a job interview ! Yea ! but Boo Rainy Day

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit...when you said two women came out of the brush...well...my mind just went to the gutter (b/c that's always where my mind is...) Like maybe they were getting, um, busy. Which makes your shirt all the more hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah the joys of country living....
    although we live in a rural place.. the idea of walking into a strange area does not fill me with lung bursting joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee hee,,, poor ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bwuahahaha! Only you! That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS: I bet those two will never go hiking again now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, they kinda needed to see that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are such a menace to society! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! 'You done taken a wrong turrrn'!

    Good job you weren't picking your teeth at the same time...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What the heck were they worried about????

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so funny, I bet they were already freaked out and then to read your shirt. Oh my gosh, What a great shirt though. Gosh you make me laugh every time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Could only be better if you had a salt shaker in your hand:@)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like they were more than lost.
    Good timing on the shirt awesome. B

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh thanks for that laugh tonight, it makes you wonder why the ladies had no sense of humor! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wouldn't you just love to hear their version of the story! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahahaha! what will you be naming this chapter in your book?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! I'm glad you were dressed in the appropriate attire. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hilariously hilarious!!

    you just made my day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the funniest story!!!! I am laughing so hard. Your t shirt was the clincher! Yeah, why do people go off the path when they are NEW and not use to the outside world? Then why do they wear heels when hiking? Bring no water? I better stop. I have seen it all. I love your style of writing. Still laughing BTW...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am still laughing when I think about it. Better drop some hints to the Wife for an Xmas tee shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahahaha! They will have an awesome story to tell their suburban friends though!

    ReplyDelete