Sunday, October 23

I am not..

a cat person.
Neither is Michael.
Yet, there are three cats raining terror on our household.
I realized a lot of you didn't know we had three cats.
Sorry, cats.


The Chaos Cats..A Novel


I did not intentionally get cats.

Cat number one, Pumpkin, has a strange story.
Years ago, we lived in a townhouse (which, by the way, was in the middle of nowhere. Townhouse, my foot).
There was a colony of feral cats and one of them decided to give birth on my deck.  After the local shelter informed us they had no room at the inn unless the kittens were old enough to adopt out, we trapped Mama and took all of them to the vet ....and suffered through 8 weeks of rage-filled feral Mama.
One of the kittens was a tortoiseshell with a distinct pumpkin shape on her belly. A year or so later, living at our current house, a tortoiseshell came wandering up the driveway.  She flopped onto her back and..distinct pumpkin shape.  WTH?!  With the shelter's help, we found out a neighbor had adopted her.
Small town, baby.
Neighbor didn't want her, so..she stayed.  She behaves like we beat her.  Reach down to caress her pretty head?  She cowers.  Call her name?  She flees and hides.
You can imagine the looks we get from new houseguests.

"They beat me..with sticks."

"...and big rocks."


Cat 2, Bella..she of the club foot and deformed tail..was adopted.  Against my better judgement.
I was at the shelter with my mom and brother..they were looking for a cat..when this toad-like thing reached through the bars and snatched at my sleeve, crying desperately into my face.  The shelter volunteer (a good friend who knows I am a Dog Person and had one more cat than I wanted already) gave me her story.
Bella was dumped for being ugly.  Her former owner wanted a "pretty kitty, not this".  At the shelter, she was accidentally sent to be spayed with a group of cats on the day she was going to be euthanized.  They decided to give her a little while longer, but her paperwork had her scheduled in two days.
Of course, being a sucker, I cried out against the injustice of only PRETTY animals getting adopted..not toad-shaped, club footed, deformed tailed animals.  I gave her a lovely name, Bella Luna, because of her luminous yellow eyes.
  Frankly, I think her previous owner dumped her in an attempt to save her own life.
No idea why Bella has a club foot or deformed tail...or why she's irrevocably evil.
That poor, dear thing with the club foot? She uses the club to beat the shit out of the dogs, pounding it violently on top of their heads.
She purrs and rolls about playfully until the dogs come to lick her, and then bites them.  Bella has trapped our 97 pound Akita in the hallway and wouldn't let her pass.
She is not a pleasant creature.

"I will END YOU."

"End you, I say!"

Cat 3, Pippin, was found in a grocery store parking lot.
We heard this ungodly noise coming from behind a dumpster and went to investigate. It sounded like a blue jay...in a blender.
Tiny 5 week old kitten, with horrible festering wounds on his tiny pink nose, and completely starved..
Sucker!
 I carried him straight to the vet (who thinks the wounds were caused by cigarette burns).
Pippin has turned into a giant, FAT, drooling weirdo.
There is nothing medically wrong with him, he's fed a rationed amount on a strict schedule..and yet he remains enormous.  I have a photo I will NOT post where he looks like a bloated corpse.  Mortifying.
This KILLS me, as I have a huge problem with fat pets (like people, it wrecks their health, except they depend on US to keep them healthy).
 I'm convinced Pippin is my cross to bear for being judgmental about the owners of fat pets.
He pulls my dirty laundry out of baskets and kneads them...while drooling.
I can't hold him for very long.  He drools so badly and tries to suckle my ears.
I have to lock him out of the bathroom or he smashes his face into the glass shower door and howls while I shower.
What the hell is wrong with this cat?!
Cat people, tell me!
A few weeks after we found him...nose is healing

Pouncing, not peeing.

*tee hee*

All grown up..fat..drooly and weird as hell.

We have three cats we feed, vet, groom and pet (as much as they'll allow)..and we are still not Cat People.
Dog People, all the way.
We don't dislike cats.  Dogs just fit our needs and lifestyles better.
Try trail running with cats.

People try to tell me they all knew I would help them..
on some cosmic, magical level they knew I would save them.
I think there's a cat message board out there with a post titled "SUCKER!"..and my photo.









24 comments:

  1. Bless your heart for saving these beautiful (tempramental) cats. They are so pretty. Pumpkin is really unusual and gorgeous! I love cats so appreciate you saving them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! We are not cat people either, and our dogs make sure kitties never ever come into our yard. Love that you saved these 3 though. You have a bigger heart than I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely a cat person and am so thankful that you gave these temperamental cats a home. I'm not a dog person but I'm a sucker too for animals... ANY animals, especially those that are in need of help and will do what I can for them.

    I have several cats that were feral that I've taken in. They are very skittish around people as well. I'm guessing that's just their temperament as they've never been abused or maybe it's because they were feral.

    All your kitties are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a cat person either, so why do "WE" have 12 kitties (all fixed)? 9 outside and 3 inside. Wifey says outside kitties control the mice and voles, which are snake food, therefore controlling the snakes. Inside kitties allegedly my daughters', whaa ha ha, NOT. Like your kitties, they all have their own personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww. samantha the sucker. i knew it! :) glad your dogs allow them to live. of course, you've taught your dogs real manners and civilized behavior, unlike me who allows certain Catahoulas their country, carousing, and killing nature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awwww. samantha the sucker. i knew it! :) glad your dogs allow them to live. of course, you've taught your dogs real manners and civilized behavior, unlike me who allows certain Catahoulas their country, carousing, and killing nature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's just your calling in life to be kind to the less fortunate cats. I used to have a cat, but my allergies don't allow it. So I just enjoy looking at pictures of OTHER people's cats. You might be a sucker but you've given 3 cats a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a cat person who has been living with no less than three dogs, often more, all rescued for years. We always had a couple of cats too and I miss them. I loved each of your cat's story, but most of all I loved how the goodness of your hearts came through.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand your pain. I do not own a single cat. Nope, but I have xix who live here. All six were dumped,thrown out of cars at high speeds, feral, just plain showed up while being a unwed pregnant mother.
    My son brought a tiny kitten home that some men were going to pour gasoline on and set on fire. He is like Pippin. Drools, and when I am not home opens every single cupboard and drawer in the house.

    They are all so neurotic I am glad I am not the only one. I have a fat kitty like yours she is a stripy too and I can't ever figure out how she got so fat either.

    I love your cats stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam I have always known you were a dog person from waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. But would you mind if I told you I loved ya for giving these kitties a home? Also, this is a dang funny post and the captures of the kitties are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make me laugh. I love your humour I think you are a cat person but just won't admit it in front of the dogs or hubby. Thanks from a cat-lover for giving these three 'special needs cats' a home. Your sucky one was taken from mom way too early and that's why it drools and sucks. Can't really change that. Just wear old clothes with that one. Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're a good person, Sam. Somehow, the cosmic kitty gods will reward you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you know me! I love and adore all kitties! Just like people they all have distinct personalities.
    We have a feral cat. Her name is Libby. She has been with us 10 years.
    She is stranger than weird! We can't pet her and giving her flea meds etc. is always an event :(
    Sometimes we don't see her for a couple of weeks, but we figure as long as no rotting smell is wafting through the house..she is still alive!
    Cats seem to find us too!
    And dogs? Well their "owners" find us and leave them on our farm. We have been here 7 years and 39 dogs have been left here on our property. One night someone dropped off 6..SIX..beagle pups. Oy.
    Pisses me off to no end how people treat animals around here. Enough of my rant..:)
    We do have a hiking cat! Chloe-mom to jelly-belly-klepto-cat, Brutus!
    Chloe loves to go hiking with J! He just has to take a back-pack with him because always on the return home, she tuckers out. In the back-pack she goes where she falls asleep for the trek home!
    Gotta love her!
    xo, misha

    p.s. i do think Pig should live in your house. i am sure she could be litter-box trained!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!! Those crazy personalities needed SOME WHERE to go!!!!

    I'm glad they found you.

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not Cat People, maybe, but definitely nice people. Purrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dogs have masters cats have staff. Your cats have chosen wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sam , that is the greatest post about cats i could imagine. someday I will post about my cat, Shirl (My sons call her the devil) I think what you did shows your wonderfully big generous heart, lady ! Cat are indeed weird i agree but they are so gorgeous too !

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always liked cats, ended up with a beagle... No pets now. I'm glad you were able to help them:@)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My husband absolutely hates cats! And so does my dogs! I don't like them much either. I did have a few as a teen at home but I'd rather a dog. I guess I am cold hearted as I will not pick up a stray cat someone drops on the side of this country road that we live on! I just will not do it!

    I'd like to give you 2 more that found their way into my mom's house! Good grief some stray momma cat was living in her garage that she can't close the door because it is broke. Anyway some dog came and killed the momma cat and a few of the babies. She brought the 2 in and has been taking care of them but she don't want them either. She can't really take care of them. She keeps them in her bathroom and has been bringing them out lately to get them used to her big dog. I can't find anyone to take them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think all cats are temperamental! I have had cats in the past and they were all a bit....strange. Dogs rule the farm these days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute kitties! I am not sure I believe you about the evil one. She looks like an angel. haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodness, you never mentioned having cats before!!! I think Pippin is awesome!! Some cats are just big like that... like Main Coons, they're built to be big, regardless of diet. Just the breed. I want a big cat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not being a cat person, how do you handle the icky litter box? (That's the deal breaker for me, man. Fellow dog person, all the way.)

    You are a MASTER at photo quotes! You are also one of a handful of bloggers who cracks me up out loud on a regular basis. Thanks for that.

    I will assume that I get a free pass on the Fat Person thing since we are joining together as a Sista/Hillbilly superhero duo. My dog's not fat, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah, we are suckers too. We have more dang cats than we need but I can't bear to see them die on my doorstep either. Argh...irresponsible pet owners! Anyhow, our one cat has nose issues similar to yours and we take him in every now and then so the vet can charge us $75 to tell us he has no idea what the problem is...

    ReplyDelete