Wednesday, September 21

Who needs SAR dogs?

All day yesterday I kept smelling this weird chemical/funky/citrus smell. I tore the kitchen and living room apart, scrubbing everywhere, trying to find the source.
Couldn't find anything!  I told Michael that it reminded me of a rotten orange.  None of the oranges on the butchers block were funky..nothing in the fridge..WTH?
Early this morning I opened the kitchen window.  There it was again.
So..there I am..outside in my jammies..with a flashlight..air scenting like a coonhound.


Michael pops his head out the window and stares at me.
Michael: What..are you doing? Are you sniffing?
Me: Yes, I am.  I'm pretty sure that smell is coming from out here somewhere.
Michael: Honey, I'm sure you're right, but..it's dark.  And you're not a search and rescue dog.
Me, squatting in the ferns outside the window: Wait..*sniff*..I think *sniffsniffsniff*
Michael: Oh sweet Jesus.....  
Me: AH HA! I found it! It was an orange! It must have rolled off the butchers block and out the window.
Michael: Great, can you come in here and sniff out my keys? For a cookie?  You wanna cookie, good girl?!

He should be glad I have my shots.  I'm sure the bites will heal quickly.
---
Fall is creeping in.
The maples are getting touches of color, the insect noises have changed, the dogs are changing coat (which means I vacuum twice a day)..


The wildflowers are golds and purples, instead of pinks and blues

The Marsh Mallow has gone to seed..from palest pink blooms to this.

The BEST hiking weather is coming up...chilly and dry.  Spring hiking is great, but dear GOD the mud.
This morning was foggy and gorgeous.  Didn't take the camera (!) but had a great hike.

20 comments:

  1. Wait - you don't have screens on your windows? How do you keep the bugs out?

    The best thing about fall, IMO, is that the mosquitoes are gone. I can't stand skeeters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not in that window..it's my Bird Watching window, and the screen gets in my @#$% way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a mighty good sniffer there, young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, i can appreciate your air scent talent. just please don't get training as a cadaver dog... :)

    the macro shot of the yellow bloom is greatness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. rotten orange peels is very nauseating. I am smelling some of that right now, and I know its because my desk neighbor ate an orange yesterday. I wonder if the trash was even picked up last night like it was supposed to. GAG!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow ! your good... I'm just surprised that Miss Piggy did not find that orange first before it got so rotten.
    Your husband adores you
    doesn't he ? sweet
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kat, surprised Pig didn't find the orange! It's so nice when the weather cools off, I love fall:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny! I've been smelling sewer gas and you are smelling rotten oranges. At least you found yours in time! lol I can't believe Pig didn't find it too! I'm so loving the cooler air but now it is raining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must kill you when someone overdoses on the perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like an unidentified odor to set off the cleaning instincts. Then, alas, to find all the scrubbing could have been procrastinated if you'd only first gone outside, in the dark, in your jammies, with a flashlight---a very obvious choice. Hope those bites do heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha i think you should have gotten TWO cookies!!!

    Super pics!

    Hope you have a great rest of the week!
    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only thing worse than a rotten orange is a rotten potato hiding somewhere. After reading your camping posts..yes, girl you do need a trailer!..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I HATE it when it's a lovely foggy morning and I don't have my camera. Glad you found the stank!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least you got a clean kitchen and living room out of the 'stink'! Oh, AND a cookie, lol! At least I hope hubby gave you a cookie after all that!

    Nice photos! It's still hot here, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm the "sniffer" in my family too. Learned the value of a good nose because I was a SAR dog handler back in the day. I've sniffed out tiny propane leaks in our house that even the scientific detectors can't find!

    I'm glad that you have your shots. I have mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How the hell did an orange roll out your window? I think pig misplaced one of her goodies. ;)

    Gorgeous flower pics. Love the last one. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep...the best hiking and camping weather is near. No bugs,no snakes but plenty of birds! The last shot is a keeper...frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. smashing shot!


    Warm Aloha from Waikiki;

    Comfort Spiral


    > < } } ( ° >



    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for pointing out the change in seasons. I need to get my head out of my butt and spend some time outside. I heart fall! Looking forward to lots of foilage fotos!

    ReplyDelete