Saturday, August 6

Ok, campers...

and I really mean campers..I need some input.
Our air mattress died a spectacular death (don't ask) and I need to replace it.  ASAP.
I know some of you die hard outdoor folks scoff at air mattresses, but..this girl needs a little comfort.
Michael, Ultimate Husband, also feels strongly about having a semi-comfortable bed "since you insist on dragging us out here".
In his defense, a large part of the time when I say "HEY! I have a great idea!" we end up flooded/bleeding/surrounded by hostile wildlife.  If the situation was reversed, I would probably dart his ass and toss him in the closet until he forgot what the *great idea* was.
We had a Coleman Quickbed ...fairly comfortable but it only lasted 18 months or so.  I don't have high expectations for air mattresses, but 18 months?  We didn't camp that often.  Houseguests used it 3 times.
If you have a favorite ..share!

Camp coffee.
This is a BIG problem for me.  I think I'm percolator challenged.  I even broke down and searched Youtube vids.  I give up.  Either it's watery and hideous or you can eat it with a spoon from all the grounds.  What the HELL am I doing wrong!?
I tried this magical coffee pot.  It sucked.
An hour before your coffee was ready.  I can't wait an hour.

I'm considering this one.  I just can't handle not having coffee.
If I'm dealing with potential bear maulings, I need a freakin' good jolt of caffeine in the AM.
Got coffee tips?  Share, dammit.


Michael called me outside last night to show me this:


He accused me of setting a trap...because, ya know, I speak spider and this was my hit man.
Spidey foolishly built the web over the doorway. I felt bad for relocating him/her and tearing down the web, but we kinda need to use the door. ;)

13 comments:

  1. can't help you on the camping tips, but i've had to plunder a few spidey webs in my day as well. always feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a camper, so can't help there, and, sin of sins, I'm not that fond of coffee. I only drink it in the Winter, and then only if I can make it in my Keurig, because I love the good strong coffee that you can buy to go into it.

    Having walked into many a spiderweb, I can sympathize with Michael, but that web reall is a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't help with the mattress... Maybe you'd like a French Press for coffee? You'd just need to boil water then use the press. I don't have one, I use a Melitta drip filter myself. Have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry. clueless on both accounts.

    your spider did build a lovely web there, but yes there's no point in him trying to snare a human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you made cowboy coffee? (Just google the instructions.) A french press might be a good way to go. I love using one at home and would take it camping in a heartbeat. They come in different sizes and I love the taste very very very much. And you can squish the grounds where as in cowboy coffee you might have some of those pesky things floating around. I've also been known to take our espresso machine camping when there is electricity. I think half the experience of camping is good food and COFFEE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about air mattresses so I can't help there. As for the coffee, we don't drink it but if you are going to Canaan I do know where you can score some free coffee! lol Just go to the Blackwater Falls main lodge. Between the gift shop and the bathrooms is a coffee bar station set up. You can get your coffee there! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's an orb weaver!! they only come out at night...to weave the most beautiful webs...and then take them down before morning...

    as far as the camping...can't be much help there...we have a slide-in camper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think one air mattress is like another. Probably doesn't matter too much?

    And I don't do coffee. Other than frufru Starbucks, but only if I have a gift certificate.

    Really, I'm just no help today. Plus, I really hate spiders. There ya go. We can still be friends, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't been camping in years, so no info on air mattresses. As far as the coffee, I'd use an old coffee boiler (like on Gunsmoke). Let the grounds settle after boiling. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do the same as Nancy with the coffee. My hubs calls it Cowboy Coffee. We have some fold up type foamy things to sleep on. Had an air mattress, but like yours, it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have several Coleman mattresses and then a cheapie. They've all held up so far and that's been 5+ years. As far as the coffee... we always camped where there was electric and we just plugged our coffee pot in! And now, we 'camp' in a 5th wheel, hahaha!

    As far as spidey goes... my hubby would've freaked out! He can handle anything but spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on no sleeping on rocks and logs in the woods. I gave up on air mattresses since they always die in the middle of a wet cold night. Now when we camp it won't be so far into the forest that I can't have my camp cot and a fluffy sleeping bag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a wilderness camping girl- but I have to have my mattress! My coleman has lasted several years- we also have a couple of generic ones that have also lasted - I bet you'll have better luck this time- I'd just get whatever is on sale! (we do a lot of camping)

    Coffee- I like the coffee press idea- I've given up and buy instant mix fu fu stuff for camping- It's actually quite good- like hot chocolate for adults!

    ReplyDelete