Sunday, August 7

Hike!

Finally, the weather was nice enough (not 115 with 95% humidity) ..77 degrees with only 90% humidity!  It's practically fleece weather!
I woke everyone up early...most of the household was NOT happy about this.


Big whiner: Pippin, the pork fat.  As if his big butt is hiking anywhere except the food bowl.
 Pippin is a medical miracle.  He eats controlled meals and is still a chunk.  Our vets are baffled.  It makes me CRAZY.  I hate to say this, but he makes me laugh- Giant gut, tiny ass.  Watching him run away is hilarious.

Enough about PorkFatCat.

SO hazy and a little drizzle..not the best condition for photos.

As if that would stop me.

Michael decided to try and kill me for waking him up early.
Aside from a trail through the woods and around part of the lake (scrambling over logs and creeks and giant rocks), he decided we should walk "the big hill" (2 miles of paved Hell).
Trail is in here somewhere...

Walking by the lake..Mosquito Heaven.

Something was rustling around in these ferns.  I said miniature rabid bear, Michael said chipmunk.


"Oh..my..god..what were you thinking.  Thighs..on fire."
Walking up this hill SUCKS.  It's a 2 mile walk, half of which, obviously, is WAY up-freakin-hill.  Plus, it's paved.
I hate walking on pavement.

Scared to stop my forward momentum, I snagged a few hawk shots while staggering uphill

Love the leg stripes.  

Cute flippered feeties!


Another hawk, more crappy photo quality.


He picked a great spot to hunt!

All teasing aside, we had a really good hike.  I missed it badly.
We're planning our first camping trip of the year (see heat/humidity mention above)...so excited!
We're sticking close to home but we have some great parks to choose from..the upper Ohio Valley is gorgeous and I never take that for granted.

Plus- if we have another nightmare camping trip, we can pack up and run like hell ;)

19 comments:

  1. That cat capture is priceless:)
    I don't know....I think you have a pretty awesome trail hike going on there;) (Minus the mosquitoes....)
    Your captures ARE wonderful- I especially like the paved trail shot:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, thanks for letting me know striped leggings were back in style this year! i'll have to drag mine out from the 90s... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me laughing so hard at walking up the hill, I had to take a breather! Now you know what I go through every morning when I walk "the gravel road" to the top of the mountain! I can hardly wait to hear about the camping trip...a rabid bear???? What are you smokin'??...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Pippin, I'll hang dumb and wait to hear all about it when you get back:@) Looks like you had a nice walk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cat is a character. It shines through his picture. I love character cats.

    Woman, you are one tough cookie. It's 80 degrees around here, with 90% humidity, and I ain't movin' my fat butt out the door. I almost expired going out to feed the critters, and the temp was only in the 70's then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pippin made me laugh this morning. What a face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pippin is adorable! Looks like he's da' man with a 'tude!

    Glad you enjoyed your hike! Looks so peaceful (aside from the two mile hill straight up both ways, hehehe!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hike looks pretty great. Those rustling chipmunks always scare me to death.

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg, pippin has the same body type as our isaac. i've told husband i want to film him "jogging" towards me, then put it up on youtube in slow motion. it's bound to get a million hits. ;o)

    be-UUUU-tiful scenery! worth fiery thighs. and think how great they'll look!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl! There is no way you will find me hiking anywhere in these temps we've been having! lol I wouldn't make it to the end of the driveway before I'd be covered from head to toe in sweat! I can't believe you seen that many critters on your hike too! I never see anything for having to look at the ground to watch where I'm stepping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kitty shot is hilarious. Your woods are lovely, dark and steeeeep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I enjoyed your hike. Sitting here in my air conditioned house. :)
    I had to laugh at your fat kitty, I have a fat kitty like that who just gets fatter and fatter and I have on idea how. She is so fat now she has to prop herself against a wall to give herself a bath.
    I really like the pictures you took of the hawk.
    It is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute kitty! Skinny cats aren't all that. And 77 degrees? Jealous!!! I reside in the pit of HELL and can't remember what anything below 100 feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job showing a close photo of the hawk and then a faraway showing where he was perched. 77 degrees sounds awesome - I can't wait to see that again so I can hit some trails!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thinking all through your story, "What fun that must have been!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. it's amazing all the things you see...when hiking...
    and i tend to notice all the rustling...even a squirrel will sound like a florida panther to me! so i keep asking sam...what would you do if a bear jumps out on the trail...what about a hungry wolf?!
    OH, i love to hike! :) really, i do...

    and i can relate to those burning muscles...it's always so easy going downhill...and then before you know it...you've gone much farther than planned...and have to walk ALL that way UP hill!

    love the hawk!! and turtles are my favorite! pippin's a beauty!!

    thanks for the walk...and i'm not even panting...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cat's name is Pippin? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete