Monday, August 29

GrrrRRRrrrrr...

We hiked.
Well, first we pulled into the park and spotted two jackasses people with their two off leash dogs.
They are special.  
County leash laws don't apply to THEM.
State park regulations?
Please.  Those laws are for commoners.


Got the dogs geared up and headed toward a trail..and heard screams.
Toddler screams.  Toddler that ran toward us, leaving Dad and Big Brother playing in the creek.
My dogs don't have to enjoy strange children.  They have to politely ignore them as we pass.  
That's my rule.
As Toddler chases us, still shrieking, Dad finally realizes one of his offspring is about 300 yards away and running toward Very Large Dog and Very Medium Dog and the two people with them are hauling ass away.
So...we climb a hill, thinking Toddler will be slowed down long enough for Dad to catch him.


Wrong.
We were chased up the hill, around a parking lot, down a park road and onto the county highway that passes through the park...Michael and I were honestly astounded they kept after us for a mile!
As we reach the road, Dad angrily yells, "Can't you just let them pet your damned dogs?!".
Oh, oh...Pleasepleaseplease God, help me NOT bitchslap him into the lake in front of his children.


For all the million things I wanted to say, I only said "Well, I'm not sure how they are with toddlers, but what the hey..let's do it!".
For me?  Epic control.
Annnnd...then I told him not all dogs liked kids..didn't HAVE to like kids..and he was taking a huge chance with his kids, them being at FACE LEVEL to giant freaking teeth.  But whatever, they aren't my kids..but, he's not putting MY dogs in that situation.  So no.  Back off.  Now.
My control? Maybe not so epic.
My dogs like kids.  I like my dogs interacting with kids..kids I know, in a controlled situation.
*grumble*
...and we went hiking to get rid of some stress.
AHAHAHAHAHA.

After that, things were calm.  We walked a total of 5.5 miles.  Not thrilled with that wimpy total.

Post Toddler Stalking:


The creek is SO low...we need rain!

We discovered they paved one of our favorite short trails.  I hate walking on pavement, but I'm thrilled they did it..
gorgeous trail and now wheelchair accessible. :)  Forest for everybody!






First toddlers..then the fish stalked us.  ACK.





All is calm now..feeling much less stressy!

24 comments:

  1. dear dog! your akita could have snapped that toddler's head off! dad needs to get a leash for his little one, me thinks. (me, who has never raised children giving parental advice...) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can empathize from both sides, Sam. I have had two crazy boys and I now have two German Shepherds. In a perfect world.... :)

    I hope you all had fun, despite the maniacal toddler episode. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be afraid that kid could bite my dogs, and would have asked his father if he had him vaccinated. Beautiful place, though.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pups are so beautiful I can see how kids would be attracted to them...but you are on hundred percent right. I never let ay small children approach mu Shepard sheltie. his personality is that he is a nervous type and doesn't like to be touched by strangers...people need to realize our dogs are our business and we do not have to offer them up to unpredictable children...I love your nature photos by the way the turtles are neat
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I'm empathetic up to a point.
    Chasing someone down who is obviously avoiding you? Nope- going too far with your expectations of other people.
    Being an asshole about it?
    Absolutely no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel blessed in a way, that my little dog goes ballistic at the sight of kids. I've been working with him and now can *usually* calm him down... when I want. When I encounter those people who don't control their children, or respect my dog's right not to be grabbed, rushed or picked up, you KNOW I'm gonna do nothing to calm him down. I pick him up (to avoid injury on his part) and let him fire and the poodle pogo-stick around me as she feeds off his negative energy. All the while, I calmly smile and roll my eyes, as I call out 'so sorry, but my dogs don't like kids'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always amazed when people allow their children to approach a stange dog, even if the owner is of the dog is comfortable with it. You never really know what a dog will do out in public and you never know what the child will do. I don't think I have ever seen a child stick their hand out for the dog to smell it. They go right for patting the dog on the head and never notice that the dog may be pulling back and fearful. It infuriates me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chasing you for a mile is pretty darn absurd.

    Beautiful pictures though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, two of my pet peeves...loose dogs and loose children. =D Glad ya'll got to enjoy your hike after all that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a jerk. When he noticed his kid stalking your dogs and that you weren't interested in a meet and greet, he should have scooped up his kid and apologized. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, it plain SCARES me how trusting people are with strange dogs. Assume strange dogs aren't kid friendly- I bet a ton of dog bites are prevented.

    Michael and I cracked up..afterward..about being stalked through the park by toddlers! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh girl! Some of the things you run into! lol I will have to say you were in Ohio and well need I say more! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. The guy with the kids sounds like the rude kind of person who would have wanted to sue somebody at the drop of a hat if their dog looked funny at the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an adventurous hike....although a bit stressful;)
    Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's probably the same guy who wanted to put his baby on the back of a buffalo in Yellowstone Park so he could take their picture. Or the guy who wanted to let his kids pet the bears that were ripping trash out of the garbage cans.

    Enjoyed your photos, especially the turtle giving you The Look. Your canine friends are very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots post toddler :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I try to teach my boys to ask permission to approach strange dogs. But I will say the toddler age is tough - they're just crazy at that age. Still, I would've just scooped up my runaway toddler and moved on - I certainly wouldn't have harassed you about it! They were persistent! Hope your next hike is toddler-free!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loose, shrieking kids are not on my list of favorite things. And, parents who can't control said kids aren't on there either. I admire your restraint.

    The park is gorgeous, and, yes, I do like it that part is paved, so that everyone can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't imagine holding on to your stress in this beautiful place. Great shots. B

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is why we do not like to go out in public and be around people...I call Rambob the "A$$hole magnet" If there is one in the crowd...they go right for him, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cracked me UP! That guy actually thought his kids were *entitled* to pet your dogs! That you were the dog-petting Nazi. They chased you over the hills and through the woods and THEN he cussed at you! The nerve of some folks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. I like your melon bra.

    Wait...

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. I like your melon bra.

    Wait...

    ReplyDelete
  24. In most of the places that I go, dogs are allowed off-leash. But, there are a few places where they're required to be leashed. I am absolutely astounded by how many people think that the rules don't apply to them. My fear is that dogs will lose access to those areas if dog owners let them run.

    OK, with that off my chest, let me say that I love your photos. Your world is so different from mine, which makes them look like another planet or something. Everything looks so lush and succulent. It looks like you had a very fun time!

    ReplyDelete