Friday, August 12

Fair warning..

this post is ALL over the damned place.

I'm fighting allergies (or the black plague), so I'm all whiny and melodramatic.
My tonsils are swollen and I sound like Godzilla going through puberty.  I swear this causes acute deafness in Michael and the dogs.  I keep bellowing and getting more Godzilla-y, they keep pretending to not hear me and snickering.
Yes, dogs snicker.  They also give good Glare.
Actually, she's happily waiting to be released from her Wait and get a bite of cheese.
My gardening hat.  It won't fit on her head the right way because of her ears.
That makes me snicker.


Last year, I planted WAY too many eggplants.  This year, I only planted two..and yet..I have WAY too much eggplant.

Five Fairytales on one plant..and I've picked 14 already.  Make it stop!
I don't know anyone that likes eggplant or I would be passing out these purple ..darlings.

My UPS delivery is always the same person.  He's fantastic.
He brings turkey jerky for the dogs..it's a bribe so they don't eat him, but still!
Yesterday, he sees me in the garden and brings the package to me...stops and stares...

UPS guy:  Sam..are those..pantyhose?
Me:  Yep.  Actually, they were thigh-highs.  It amused several people on my blog...and now I'm going to mention YOU mentioning the pantyhose!  I'll also point out you weren't weird and pervy about thigh-highs and melons.
UPS guy: I love coming here...even if you are wearing a tshirt that says Serial Killer and you're holding a sharp trowel.  But, you're also wearing a cowboy hat.  I don't know what to think.
Me: Oh great.  Now you're telling Blogland I dress like a crazy person.
UPS guy: Actually, you will be telling them....

See why I love him?!

So..as promised..
HI HANK! :D

Blue table..blahblah..is anyone else sick of tomato pics?

Today is vat of pasta sauce day...and tomato soup day...and tomato paste day.

A quick copy for those who asked about the paste:

TOMATO PASTE 
8 qt. peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes, about 4 dozen large
1 1/2 c. chopped sweet red peppers (about 3)
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp. salt
1 clove garlic (optional)

Combine all ingredients and cook slowly over low heat for 1 hour. Press tomato mixture through a fine sieve, add garlic if desired. Cook mixture slowly until thick enough to round up on a tablespoon (about 2 1/2 hours). Stir frequently.Remove clove of garlic. Pour hot mixture into hot Ball jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust Ball dome lids and Ball bands. Process half pints 45 minutes in water bath canner.


I like it better than canned tomato paste, but it is a pain in the butt.

Blueberries with cream and a little sugar.
 I argue that IS a health food because of the blueberries..and um..the calcium in the cream.  So there.


96 pounds.  6 pounds.
Youngest dog and oldest cat.
Besties..no matter how odd the pairing.
I would love to get a good photo of them together, but Punk is usually squashed under Irie.

Supposedly, we're having a fire and a few drinks this evening.
Stop over!
Just bring bribes for the dogs.
Probably a good idea to bring bribery food for me, too.


19 comments:

  1. i am SO glad you posted a pic of how you used thigh-highs for the melons! having never grown those kinds of melons before (tee hee), i had no idea what you were doing with them. and i LOVE your UPS guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will come to your fire! lol. I wish I could. As you know, all I need to have fun is a bonfire and a six-pack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always told my beagle, bark at the mailman-he brings bills... we LIKE the UPS guy! Love the "besties" pic-too fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need your eggplant secrets! I tried to plant it but it flopped :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure wish I could sit around a fire with you. I have no doubt it would be tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blueberries ARE health food! No doubt...came for my daily dose of Pig...I don't see her though...gonna have to search back through a couple of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for showing us what you did with the thigh-highs. I wouldn't even let me mind try to figure that one out!

    Great photos! And the besties are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never saw melons hanging like these.

    I am still on virtual vacation – a sabbatical of sorts but love to pop in on people. To me it is something like opening the door on the outhouse...

    Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to embrace eggplant, but I don't know what to do with it.

    I'm jealous of your UPS driver. Even when I'm sitting in my office with the window open (two feet from the front door), they drop the package at the door, ring the bell and run like hell.

    Thanks for the tomato paste recipe. I thought I was overrun with tomatoes, but I've only got about 2 dozen. Do you think I can halve the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if auntie glad has some spare stockings (we cant call them pantyhose in the uk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that last picture. And, I, too, am glad that you showed the picture of your watermelon being supported by the thigh-high. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine how you were going to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like you post that are all over the place! And thanks for the paste recipe! I have a few tomatoes that will get pasted this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha i love the panty hose/thigh highs...

    Have a great weekend and yes our UPS guy is petty nice too!

    Leontien

    ReplyDelete
  14. My sinuses are all over the place right now too! I HATE taking allergy medicine! There is something about Zertec that makes it hard for me to get to sleep. It also messes with my dreams! I'm having real crazy dreams from taking it. I had hoped to be able to quit but now the ragweed is getting high so I have to take something.

    I've never had eggplant! lol I would love a good watermelon about now. Tomatoes flopped so I didn't get not a single one in well over 3 dozen plants that were planted!

    Cute pic of your pup and kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ummm...maybe if you set a small table out front, piled high with eggplant...and put a sign "please don't take these eggplants"...they will magically disappear! or a sign "got eggplant?".
    love your melon holder!!! ha! so ingenious!
    96 pounds of furry fun!
    hope you can breathe better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wondered how to do the pantyhose thing. I have melons growing on a fence but I think they won't get big enough to need support. I don't do pantyhose but my MIL could save me hers.

    Cute picture of the dog and cat. Our yellow cats love our yellow dog! The other cats not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The dog looks like a human being while wearing that hat.



    Cassy from Guitar Made Easy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure who I love more, the dog or you!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  19. blueberries with cream and sugar takes me back to gramma's kitchen everytime.:o)

    also, out first pug LOVED blueberries! as much fun to catch as to eat.

    ReplyDelete