Wednesday, July 13

Sniffle...

My guests are gone and Michael went back to work.
I am *sigh* all alone.
I mean..aside from the 4 dogs and 3 cats.

You all will be proud of me, though.
I took FIVE WHOLE DAYS off.  I washed dishes and did a minimum of cleaning.
I didn't cut grass.
I didn't break out the chainsaw.
I didn't tear anything down or build anything.

We had the most redneck, hillbilly vacation ever.  It rocked.

We spent hours in the pool (did you know that a pool raft with air pockets can hold 18 beer cans?), went for lots of drives, went to the white-trashiest flea market on Earth (which was awesome), cooked incredible meals that I'll be working off for 6 months (so worth it) and laughed a LOT.

I laughed so much I lost my voice.  Right now I sound like Godzilla going through puberty.

Of course, the screaming probably helped with that.

So here is a WV Tale of Terror for you:
We went for a drive on the most narrow, tree lined dirt road ever.  We do this every single visit..and every single visit we get the pee scared out of us.  Genius, right?

I don't know why all horror movies aren't filmed on this road.

This drive, we cruise past the ancient cemetery (!) and maneuver up the goat path called a road only to find a huge tree limb dragged across the road (!!) and a huge pit dug along the side of the road (!!!).
 No way to get around it, even in my SUV.
What.  The.  Hell.

We debate what to do...backing down a mile of twisty, rutted road is going to give us ulcers, but getting out and moving this massive limb in the dark...well...
That sounds like a good way to get captured by cannibals and turned into people sausage.


Jeremy is game for backing down, so we play musical chairs (last one outside the car is left for the cannibals) and I arrange myself in a demure fashion (draped over the back of the back seat with my butt sticking in the air and my legs braced against the front seat) to help guide him around curves/ruts/death traps.

As we're backing down the hill, we hear loud crashing in the woods BESIDE THE CAR.
I realize my butt is sticking up toward the open sunroof.
Can't see anything bad happening there, right?
  Lacey is dead quiet in the passenger seat, praying to George A. Romero that we make it out alive.

We made it down the hill just fine, but took a few quiet minutes to recover from the adrenaline rush.
And then...
this God awful, terrifying noise comes from inside the car.
Under the seat.
Next to me.
Lacey and I let out screams that were probably heard by all of you (which wrecked my voice).  Jamie Lee Curtis would have been proud of us.
Jeremy let out a manly roar (honestly, it was pretty girlie for a 6ft 3in guy).

Who knew the "cricket chirp" text alert on my cell could be so damned terrifying?!
--
I've got photos to share and more stories to tell, but for now I'm off to get back into the swing of things!
Missed you all!

18 comments:

  1. too funny. i can only imagine the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you can't see me because I'm laughing so hard that big fat tears are running down my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boy oh boy am I glad your back on here. I missed your posts! Glad you made it out alive!

    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like good times! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have cannibals? I've always fancied a slice of long pig!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of vacation, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must live near me! There are a few places along our road that are like that where you would have to back up like that if you ran into a tree in the road! lol That's one reason why I won't go anywhere when it is extremely windy! lol My husband says to just drive over it if it isn't that big! lol I say we should carry a chainsaw around in the back of the truck with us at all times! Glad you had a great time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your humor has been missed! Although I am left with a few disturbing visuals in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! And no pics of your adventures?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a hilarious adventure! fingers are crossed that there will be pix cannibal road!

    i'm thinking romero is NOT the god of choice in this situation, as he would probably be on the side of the cannibals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the pictures are as good as the ones in my mind.LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so funny my imagination went wild I bet it was unforgettable. I love the way you write it. B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, can't wait for some pictures. You sure earned such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhh...sounds like our vacations! well....actually our everyday lives ;) I can't wait to hear the rest! Glad you enjoyed your hillbilly, white trash, redneck stay-cation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a ball.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the comment you left.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ha! sounds like you had a fun time...and sadly...all good things must come to an end! but why? damnit!

    ReplyDelete