Tuesday, July 19

Garden babble

For a lot of us, this time of year means...garden stuff.  All garden all the time.
Dealing with garden pests:

Voodoo.. carrot dog

GAH! Spiny little tomato hog.

My poor tomatoes are being mauled my horn worms and fungus.  I'm filled with rage.  I might even break out the chemicals if this continues, and I don't do chemicals.


Gardening can make you feel like this:
One of my favorite gardening tees...obviously well worn.  Link below
There are always those folks who tell you gardening is easy...it's so relaxing...gets you outside and in touch with nature.  Part of those statements are true.
Anyone that tells you gardening is easy..lies!
Or HAS a gardener.
Or both.


"It is TOO hot for this.  Don't they sell vegetables at the grocery store!?"
 And then comes the overabundance of vegetables you don't adore, but you eat often enough to justify growing...but you think you have a family of 15 when really there are two of you...and..
Please God, make the green beans stop.

Then you spot crabgrass growing in the mulch.
Why hasn't anyone marketed crabgrass instead of all these fancy grass seeds?!
It needs barely any water to live, it's low growing, you can't kill it with napalm...
It doesn't even need freakin' dirt to grow.



 But, you catch a glimpse of this...and you realize you are feeding your family (with your blood, sweat and tears!)...and you're proud.  It's worth it.

Oh crap. I grew it, but now I have to clean, process and eventually cook this stuff?  What the hell kinda deal is THAT?

Gazing at your bountiful garden, you accidentally catch a glimpse of yet another Michael Flower..and momentarily ...you're blind.

Why can't this man buy ONE THING that isn't "Dear God, My Retinas!" colored??
But, he does not dress in neons..so..I'll stop complaining about his flower choices and just be happy he's not wearing it.

That awesome tee came from Michael at My Earth Garden.
Love the composter tees, too!

19 comments:

  1. I love it! My all time favorite line "gardening is 'light' exercise"... Obviously spoken from someone that never did any gardening!!! Good luck with the beans, I just posted a zuke recipe if you need one:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you mentioned voo in that first photo. didn't even see him! and i'd be sneaking those fresh carrots too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dog and that flower (sorry...I love that color in the evening). Your produce looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I feel your mixture of joy and pain!

    Yesterday I found the BIGGEST SLUG ON EARTH attached to one of my squashes. I still need to go deal with him, but I'm a little scared. It's as big as my foot. Shudder. Seriously. I never knew slugs could get that big. Does Miracle Gro work on slugs too or something? Won't anyone else go kill this sucker for me?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those carrots look good. I admit that I didn't even do any green beans this year....my family would have revolted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is doing well. I am a little bit behind you in growth. Probably the climate. I read to get rid of slugs, throw broken egg shells in the garden. I did that, haven't seen slugs yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogger ate my earlier response, so this is going to be short...

    I hope you're proud of that haul. It's lots of work, but so, so much better than what you get at the store.

    I support Michael in his colourful flowers. Colour is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your garden is going great.
    you are so lucky to grow all those flowers and veggies...i'm drooling over them.

    your dog is really cute.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's an awesome shirt.

    if it weren't for crabgrass and moss, my lawn would not be green, so i can't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on the crabgrass. I quit with the lawn stuff years ago. If the grass wants to grow, it is welcome to, otherwise, its just more space for the green and hardy weeds to flourish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the fresh carrots fresh is the best tasting way to have your veges! Love the color of the flower too! it looks like the color of love
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  12. you feed my spirit!



    Aloha from Waikiki;


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll trade you some squash and zucchini for some beans and carrots! hehehe It seems that they all came in at a time that I'm too busy to do anything with it and I'm tired of eating it! lol

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes the virtual vegetable trading blog! Gardening is relaxing, the plants love you and they never complain. However sometimes our bodies complain by the end of the day. Green thumb women rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just want to cradle those carrots in my arms. Is that weird? I could pretend I was Ms. America or something. (They make my store bought ones look pathetic.) Love that t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow!! your carrots & all look wonderful...your hard work has really paid off! this year we made our garden smaller than last years...too much work...ugh...but the deer got in and ate everything!
    oh well...next year, better deer proofing! and last year my tomatoes got eaten by the hornworm overnight!

    love your shirt...voodoo...and the michael flower!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My feelings about gardening exactly!

    Yet, I do it every year for just the two of us.

    The carrots are lovely; I gave up on them in my rocky Ozark soil.....many years ago.

    This time of year I begin to wonder why I am doing this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep, this is the time of year I look longingly at the bags of SteamFresh veggies in the freezer section. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm impressed by your mad gardening skillz. Here in sunny OK, it's been well over a hundred degrees everyday. We can't even get our tomatoes to grow this year. We miss our garden tomatoes. :(

    ReplyDelete