Wednesday, June 8

Storms, ghogs and flatlanders

Had another crazy storm go through yesterday morning.  It started off peaceful, but I could watch the band of clouds coming in FAST.
I took video, but who knows where I stuck the memory card.



It stormed for several hours, then clear skies and sunshine for the rest of the day...perfect!
I was sitting outside enjoying the breeze when I read "violent winds will precede this storm.  Do not wait for lightning to take cover in a strong building away from windows".  That was a new kind of warning for us!
They weren't kidding, either.  I swear my eyelids were flapping like awnings.

  For whatever reason, we're having less pest problems!  I'm SO glad.
I was NOT glad to see this baby ghog.

Terrible pic, I know, but it was barely daylight.
When I consider how much damage was done to the garden, our food, I can't even say this baby is cute.
The male dogs have taken to peeing in the groundhog hole.  Have at it, boys!
It saves me from asking Michael to do it.
Michael grew up in town..he's kind of delicate about this country stuff ;)

  The birds are munching the strawberries in my strawberry jar.  I'm fine with that, since we have more.  I consider it payment on all the bugs they're eating.
There are always Robins, Titmice and Blue Jays carefully going over the beds and plants.
My mom was laughing because I was working at one end of a bed and two titmice were working at the other end.  They are exceptionally relaxed around us.

  I broke another shovel yesterday.
3 shovels in 2 years.  What in HELL am I doing!?
Michael brought home an Ames Pro shovel.  We'll see how long it takes me to break the "steel reinforced fiberglass" handle on this puppy.

In just less than a month, two of our closest friends are coming to visit.
I enjoy taking the NE Flatlanders, Jeremy and Lacey, on hikes like this:


I like to live on the edge and anger my guests by hiking them to death on giant hills and quoting Children of the Corn all the time.

We don't do much while they are here. Fires every night, hiking, swimming, playing with the dogs..and eating horribly.  I probably shouldn't eat anything but lettuce for the next month to prepare.
Example:


I tried to make Jeremy plate his food nicely to get a pic.  Did not work.
I've got a TON of stuff to get done before they get here.  Eek.  They wouldn't care as long as the beer was cold and the grill is going.  Easiest houseguests ever.  I'm the one that obsesses.

  Today is supposed to be hot and sunny...
Michael is off and the only errand I have is getting my hair cut...we're spending the day in the pool!
I'm getting my waist-length hair chopped off.  It's too damned hot.
I've also decided not to color it until fall.  I color it a deep chocolate brown, but it bleaches out so badly during the summer.  My real color is a light honey brown.

Bunch of stuff to get done before my hair hacking, so I'm off!
I'll finally have time to catch up on blogs this afternoon....

12 comments:

  1. I have not seen a groundhog for ages. Nice to see some familiar faces from long ago. I like your plate of goodies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - dinner looks great!

    All of your pests came here. Bunny in the garden, raccoon stealing eggs, and something has killed 3 chickens. It's not been a good week :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy dinner! And very lucky guests!
    Hope you have a wonderfully relaxing day and that you love your new do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh. are you going to whack the hair short? i had mine almost shaved for summer. shorter than most boys... love it!

    and i think that baby Ghog is SO cute!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha! you're hysterical!!
    ...besides the peeing in the groundhog hole...the flapping eyelids...obsessing over your easy house guests...your (unconscious?) hatred (?) for shovels...i think hiking to the Children of the Corn is the BEST!! have a great day, you've made mine! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good humor!. It sounds like you are my kind of hostess! I would love that walk, even with the Children of the Corn thing. After the temp hit 105 (109 on my deck!) yesterday the hair hacking is sounding awfully tempting. Otherwise, I'm wearing a ponytail for the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brave woman chopping the hair OFF! I'm threatening to do mine... I'm not as brave as you!

    Breaking shovels?! You are also a strong woman apparently! Even my hubby hasn't broken that many shovels since we've moved to the country and he's constantly hitting tree roots! I hope the new shovel lasts!

    Don't get mad, but the baby Ghog is adorable! I know, I'd probably be upset too if my crops were disappearing.

    Have fun getting ready for company. You sound like me, obsessing over things that the guests probably won't even notice. My hubby tells me that all the time. But you'll feel better knowing you did it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear - if it's the last thing I do I'm coming to hear you freak me out with child of the corn tales. LMBO!!!!!!!!!

    Okay - this is sad, but true - my redneck neighbor was NOT raised in the city - therefore - he has a GINORMOUS tree in his front yard... totally unnaturally large... he attributes it to his own version of, "watering". LOLOLOLOL!!!

    Picture of the new hair-do needed!!!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, jeremy has quite the appetite! do you make your guests forage for their food on these hikes? (mmm, land-crab.)
    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoa! I am going to have to add your interesting insights to my Blog Roll. This is one way I can keep up with you....:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does NE stand for Nebraska? Now you know 3 people from Nebraska, if that is the case. :)

    Dinner looked great -- and good for you for stepping away from the hair color for awhile. I did it a few months ago and appreciate not being a slave to that stuff any more.

    Have a super day, Samantha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too had a rain storm warning yesterday. Snow, blizzard, but a rain storm warning, come on. That's for you southern guys!! But it was a peach of a one!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete