Monday, May 2

Product love and a camping ramble

We had a raw shrimp incident on Saturday (the bag leaked in the back of our SUV).  Thank heavens we use a Cargo Cape. No shrimp funk to clean out of the carpet.
  Everything was contained and the cape is easy to clean.  It's also great for protecting the car from wet soil, swampy dogs or plants.  We use the Wander Hammock, too. LOVE the products from Kurgo.  Now if only they made a product to contain floating dog hair....
I groom the dogs frequently to cut down on cleaning up dog hair. But, I swear, we get in the car and *poof*! They drop 28 pounds of hair.  Open the sunroof or roll down a window and you're in a hair vortex.

  Our first camping trip -local- was scheduled for next weekend.  Just not gonna happen.  We're supposed to have more rain.  I'm not one of those good sports who sees the rain predicted and goes anyway.  If it rains while we're camping, I can roll with it..but I'm not planning a trip knowing it's going to monsoon.
 I used to be a good sport.......
  After our Camping Disaster 2010, I have strong feelings about rain and tents.
(This was also the "oh by the way, there are wall-to-wall bears" camping trip.)  It rained so much the camp ground owners talked about closing the road to our site because it was washing out.  Michael stood up from the air mattress and it was bobbing like a raft..the tent flooded.
To top things off, I had healing 2nd and 3rd degree burns during this trip.  I was too freaked by the bears to take the pain meds I was prescribed (and needed).  I was sure I would sleep through the marauding bear hordes.
Did I mention this trip was completely my idea?  Every step from the location, dates, etc.  Michael, as always, says not one word about the bears/floods/my less than rational behavior induced by pain and lack of sleep.
On night 3 of this Hell he stuffed a Vicodin in my mouth, packed up the car in the dark and rain in under an hour and drove us 4 hours home through the mountains.
That trip left me feeling like this was the perfect camping spot.

We're working in the garden as much as possible, but the constant rain is slowing things down.  SO glad we have the raised beds..at least they are draining!



That's Pig the Groundhog (and a Chipping sparrow hopping by her butt)

House Wren has a house!

The male Rose-breasted Grosbeak and ever present Goldfinches

Imagine that.  More rain.










6 comments:

  1. This does not sound like fun! We are having more rain and cannot get anything accomplished on our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry you're getting swamped. you always make me laugh at your 'mis'adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh. Shrimp juice and dog hair and rain...some least favorite things combined;) Hope your day is a good one- regardless:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/chaosdogs1376/?action=view&current=015.mp4
    http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/yy284/chaosdogs1376/?action=view&current=023.mp4

    I found (really crummy) cell video I sent to my best friend during Camp Hell 2010. This was day 1, and you'll note in the 1st vid I STUPIDLY say "the tent doesn't leak..WOOHOO!"
    Fatal statement! :D
    The second vid, Michael is trying to watch a movie on the laptop, but can't hear anything over the rain.
    For new campers...take your electronics! If it rains, they can save your sanity. There are only so many hands of poker one can play with ones spouse before you wonder why you got married ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been camping in a tent. Sounds like you were pretty deep in the woods. We had a traveling bear in our front yard 3 feet from the front door a few years back. Never seen him again. That was scary! My husband finally got our garden plowed but we haven't been able to plant anything. It's supposed to rain more! I don't know when we'll get to plant. We love to vacation at Canaan Valley. We rent a house when we go. I've posted lots on our vacations there if you want to see you can find them at the bottom under my labels. Where did you go camping on that trip? I don't want to go there! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. That trip was in the Summersville Lake area, Angela. It was stunning, and the whole disaster is funny NOW ;)
    It's 4 am and the pounding rain woke me! This is crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete