Tuesday, May 3

Birds..beets

We are FULL of birds today. I don't know if it's the rain or what, but Holy Mother of Winged Things.
By 3:30:
Cardinals
Black capped chickadees
Goldfinches
Titmice
Mourning doves
White breasted nuthatches
Chipping sparrows
Downy woodpeckers
Hairy woodpeckers
Dark-eyed Juncos
Two pairs of Eastern Towhees
Pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
Blue Jays
House finches
House wren
Red-breasted nuthatch (FINALLY back after not seeing them here for 2 years)
Grackles
Red-winged blackbirds, lots of females which isn't typical
Ruby throated hummingbird..a female was peering in my kitchen window.  First one I've seen this year.  I quickly got out the feeder and mixed a batch of nectar.
Baltimore Oriole male ..as above, I ran and got their feeder
I can hear a Scarlet Tanager, but can't see the little jerk.  We go through this every year.  I hear them and spend hours staring upward into my oak trees..and I swear I hear them laughing.
-----

I'll direct sow most of my beets, but finally caved and tried my Gram's method.  She started beets indoors and had the most incredible, perfect beets.  I'll give it a shot.  I wanted roasted beets this weekend but nearly fainted at the cost of (wrinkled, leathery) organic beets.
My cabbage flat is showing signs of life. I was getting worried!
-----
Pardon the photo quality...all of these were taken through the windows.  It has been raining all day so I didn't have the camera outside. Glad the birds don't mind being so close to the house.








14 comments:

  1. enjoyed that post. I have seen most of those same birds around here, too!
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to fill up my feeders again so I can see more birds than I have been lately. I was going to buy more seed a while back and it was $21 a bag for the sunflower seeds I usually feed that was costing me $14 a bag. I love the bird with the red neck! He is one of my favorites. They look like they are dressed in a tuxedo!

    Stay dry!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful, beautiful! i love bird-heavy days like the one you had!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, you make me want to get out the bird book, and buy some more seed. I need to get better at id-ing birds. I know some, but it is a little embarrassing when someone asks what the bird you are talking about, and all you can say is, "well, it's grey..." Not real helpful.

    Lovely pics, by the way!

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics and the birds are out in full force at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :)))) Love it! And I thought my run with several types of birds was exotic:)
    Love the Stump Display Post...they seem to like it there:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello friend
    very beautiful images. beautiful visit. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. delightful captures...really can feel the spring in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far today we've had pigeons, magpies, pigeons, some back tatty thing that looked like it had been through a cat, pigeons and ... umm ... pigeons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - you do have a lot of birds! I sure hope my beets will grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should call your place Bird Heaven! I really like the stump feeder.

    ReplyDelete