Tuesday, May 3

Birds..beets

We are FULL of birds today. I don't know if it's the rain or what, but Holy Mother of Winged Things.
By 3:30:
Cardinals
Black capped chickadees
Goldfinches
Titmice
Mourning doves
White breasted nuthatches
Chipping sparrows
Downy woodpeckers
Hairy woodpeckers
Dark-eyed Juncos
Two pairs of Eastern Towhees
Pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks
Blue Jays
House finches
House wren
Red-breasted nuthatch (FINALLY back after not seeing them here for 2 years)
Grackles
Red-winged blackbirds, lots of females which isn't typical
Ruby throated hummingbird..a female was peering in my kitchen window.  First one I've seen this year.  I quickly got out the feeder and mixed a batch of nectar.
Baltimore Oriole male ..as above, I ran and got their feeder
I can hear a Scarlet Tanager, but can't see the little jerk.  We go through this every year.  I hear them and spend hours staring upward into my oak trees..and I swear I hear them laughing.
-----

I'll direct sow most of my beets, but finally caved and tried my Gram's method.  She started beets indoors and had the most incredible, perfect beets.  I'll give it a shot.  I wanted roasted beets this weekend but nearly fainted at the cost of (wrinkled, leathery) organic beets.
My cabbage flat is showing signs of life. I was getting worried!
-----
Pardon the photo quality...all of these were taken through the windows.  It has been raining all day so I didn't have the camera outside. Glad the birds don't mind being so close to the house.