Wednesday, May 4

Perception

It's cold and rainy again (I swear that will be the last time I mention weather in this post), and I'm getting a little grumpy.
 Generally, I take criticism well.  A friend made a comment about some photos I sent that pissed me off.  I've already discussed this with her, and informed her she's now cannon blog fodder.  See, I play fair.
She said, "Sam, you're a better photographer than that..why send photos if they aren't perfect?".
After my initial reaction of wanting to dropkick her off a cliff (don't tell me I'm not a benevolent soul), I stopped and thought about perception.
 I'm not a photographer.  I'm not even a pretend photographer.
I have a camera. I take photos of things I like.  I thought this was obvious.
If I spent time waiting for those perfect bird shots, or dog shots, or whatever shots...I would miss out on one hell of a lot.
Does getting a perfect shot make me happy? Of course!  But it's not critical.
Hell, it's not even something I think about when I pick up a camera.
I was SO excited that we have two pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.
My less-than-perfect shots I shared this morning:









One person sees imperfection.
I *see* the excitement of having two pairs of birds that are rare to us, a kind husband shooing the dogs away from the window so they didn't spook the birds..all the STUFF behind the photo.
Life is a chaotic, blurry mess. I'm rollin' with that.
Ok, now that I've got THAT out of my system...grumble...

Today is raspberry planting day. All 11 of them.
Michael is home to help, thank God, because we have to dig a ginormous pit to amend the soil.  It's rock with some dirt sprinkled over it.

Have a wonderfully imperfect, blurry day!

15 comments:

  1. Dang girl - if those are bad photos don't send your friend to my blog. LOLOLOL

    I love your photos! AND the birds! I have birds... I don't know what they are... but I don't even think about trying to take pictures - I think you rock! Oh, and so does your soil. haha!

    have fun playin' in the dirt!!!!! Keep clickin' - I like 'em.

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked red.neck.chic's first line! :) I think your attitude is just fine! If we all waited for perfection, we wouldn't have anything to post, would we?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, some people just like to criticize. I love your shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can't believe you posted these...

    i'm kidding. these are fantastic! love the grosbeak getting up that cardinal's grill.

    you have texwisgirl to thank for my stalking you now, btw. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the blog post today! Sorry your not feeling great. But I have to admit I was giggling and grinning as I read. The photos are great! Love the blue Jay the best, Wood peckers too! isn't life exciting when we take the time to watch it played out in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the birds, don't care about the perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You won the lottery with those shots girl! I've never been able to get a good picture of a woodpecker much less to have 2 of them in the same shot! And is that the female to the tuxedo man? I've never seen a female! And I love the far away shot that shows all of the different birds you have at the same time! Wow! That's just incredible!

    Alright! If and I say if, it's not raining when I get home from picking up kid #2 from the bus, 2 miles away, I am going to fill up my feeders! I've got to see some birds in my yard again!

    Hope the Sun comes out soon!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANKS, you all :)
    I realized I sounded like I was fishing for compliments, and truly, not my intention. At all.
    Eek.

    Bon bon, stalking you right back!
    The rest of you- I'm already stalking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think today was just one of "those" days! Ugh! You take whatever pictures make you happy. Sometimes I wonder why people feel the need to say negative things. As my mother always said, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." I think more people need to live by that!

    Keep on clickin'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great photos. Sometimes you just have to listen to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what timing! ;)
    http://tinyurl.com/4xjr2v7

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I take the time and make the effort, I can take kick ass photos. But. Sometimes, I don't want to take the time. Sometimes I just want a record of something, or a visual to make my point.

    I'm not saying your pictures are ever bad, but if they happened to be less than perfect (which, honestly, I've never noticed) I'd assume that the art of photography wasn't your primary goal when you took them. I'm just happy to see all your birds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Was digging in the dirt at Skoog farm and wound up HERE! Cool.



    Warm Aloha from Waikiki


    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    ReplyDelete
  14. From one imperfect photog to another :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sam, I couldn't agree more about picking up a camera and taking pix! I'm lucky if I can hold it still!! The Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are MY FAVORITE bird!..Good luck with planting..sunny & windy here,chilly this morning (40)...:)JP

    ReplyDelete