Wednesday, May 11

Oh, rage.

Last fall, as instructed by our contractor, we stained/sealed the pool deck.
I did exactly as instructed: first cleaned the deck with some scary ass cleaning stuff that started to melt my flipflops,  rinsed and let dry for the instructed time and then applied the stain/sealant (which was ok for pool deck use).

This spring, I notice that the stain is..missing..in spots and there are very dark spots (almost like I overlapped wet stain onto dry).  I'm at a loss.


After my tantrum, I called the local hardware store guy who tells me, cheerfully, that I should strip it all and start over.  But, he has no idea why X product would do this, so maybe we should hire a professional to do it.  
I am....unhappy.
If this was my fault, I'm perfectly ok with that.  If you see something that screams "she didn't do X", for the love of all things holy, tell me.  If I have to repeat this process more than once, I may go into a Bellini induced coma.
I'm ok with my DIY challenges, especially when it's a new project.  I am not ok with expensive products failing on me!
--
We had a crazy storm roll through last night.  I checked the weather- Isolated Storms, 10% chance. 
Twenty minutes later the first severe storm warning came in, and they specifically mention the area I live.  
My cabbage seedlings! My young Brussels Sprouts!  The chard just came up!
I started to run out and do something..anything..and the transformer below my house got hit by lightning.
Yeah, sorry garden, you're on your own!  The hail worried me more than anything.
Thank goodness everything seems ok.  Maybe 3 broken cabbage seedlings (out of 2 billion).
Isolated Storms..ie, directly over Sam's house!





9 comments:

  1. uh, yeah! stay out of the lightning target zone please! glad you were left unscathed (and unfried).

    so the deck wood was new but not too green? and it still is showing such wear? i'd be really mad too. however, i have to say, we had our deck redone last year. i let it dry then did the waterseal, and i can see some 'drying' spots that don't look like they've gotten enough protection either. i did NOT put on 2 coats (basically because they say not to) but now i wonder if i should have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the deck -- I'd think I did a pretty good job and leave it at that. That's just me. I don't worry too much about things I can't really control. Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your deck! Ours is in need to restaining - it's been 5 years. We used Sikkens last time. It's expensive though.

    Hooray for sprouting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my...glad your OK. glad all is well now! Your giving me giggles again I can't wait to read what happens next...maybe you should just start writing a book..."My Life (Live, Love, Laugh!")
    You have to read this book my friend Dan Langone wrote ..you would get a real kick out of it. I talk about it on my blog ..It's called "Flybait's Lament" and it's worth the 20 bucks Danny will sign it for you and get it to you fast. Takes forever through Amazon or his publisher. KAT Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh. frustrating to see that all your efforts were basically for nothing. we went with stone pavers because i'm too cheap/lazy to ever reseal a deck.

    those storm clouds are dangerously beautiful! glad your garden pulled through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The storm clouds are very scary!

    As far as the deck goes, I feel your pain. We have cedar siding, porches and decks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could help solve what happened to your stain but I have no idea. We haven't ever stained our front porch in the 12 years it's been there.

    Those storms were crazy last night! We got lucky and dodged the bullet with all of the rain and hail with that one though. Charleston didn't fare as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From what you described, it looks like you didn't put the cleaner down. But if you had something that "was melting your flip flops", you most certainly must have. That just is odd... If you know what the product was, you could always email your question to them... Not much help, am I, sorry.

    Oh, I am so glad to hear you didn't go out and try to fend off the elements! Wow! Keep safe! And here I am griping because the rain came back...

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. nature!



    Warm Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete