Monday, May 9

Crossley review, and what fern?

I received my Crossley ID Guide last week..
I spent a good two hours just flipping pages and comparing it to my other guides.
A week in, and I say..get it.  LOVE it.
Every guide lacks something, so I think a good library of ID books is important.
 My go-to book is still the National Wildlife Federation field guide.  It fits in my backpack while hiking (don't try this with the Crossley, you'll herniate something), and so far I've been able to ID any bird I've seen.
I'm always building the birding library, so please feel free to post your recommendations.

I can't decide what fern this is!
It popped up near the house, in an area that gets a lot of sun.  Dry, shale soil.
Help, before I make myself crazy.  I find myself hanging out the window, staring at this fern...it's not healthy.



The stems are quite red and smooth.
I know the photos aren't great, but bear with me.  It's Aspen season and I'm either blinded by allergies or blinded by allergy meds.

OH!  Houston, we have cabbage.  My cabbage seedlings are growing like crazy.  I'm so happy!
The beets I decided to start indoors are sprouting, the outside beets are not.  Either way, we should have SOME beet harvest this year.

13 comments:

  1. i don't know, but i want some! i spent some time yesterday moving (i wouldn't say stealing) some ferns from the woods behind our house, into an empty spot in our shady flower bed. i'm sure it'll be much happier there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just out taking pictures of ferns this morning. I've no idea what type they are though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ferns make me happy and remind me of childhood

    ReplyDelete
  4. allergies have been rotten here in TX too. yucko...

    I won a Crossley Guide from a birdy blog giveaway - it's phenomenal! LOVE all the color and varieties they show of each bird. But it's definitely not pocket friendly. :) i have an American Bird Conservatory's field guide I like also, and my oldie-but-goodie Book of North American Birds published by Reader's Digest. :) and i have about 5 others... can never have enough bird i.d. books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what kind of ferns you have there. All I know is that I think I have the same ferns growing in my woods.

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a licorice fern? If you google it, there are lots of different pics, but a few stand out as looking a lot like your fern. (If I'm right, you have to identify my mystery plant, please!)

    I planted a bunch of ferns last year (fiddle heads). Most didn't do so well, so I'm waiting with bated breath to see if any come back.

    Not commenting on your bird books because I'm too jealous that you have any birds, let alone enough that you need a book to help identify them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. J, look up blue woolly speedwell and tell me what you think...

    I think the fern might be a Sensitive Fern. This is driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks awfully familiar and I have a ton of ferns growing here in the Hollow. If I remember I'll take some pix & post to compare...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks a lot like the ferns that grow in the mountain in my area. Have no idea what kind it is. It fianlly dryed up enough that we got some of our garden in over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting... Looks almost like ferns we have here in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. never have seen a fern like that one..looks like a leaf/fern type of plant very unlike simple ferns. Ill be checking to see what it is...someone will know or find it. I'm planning to get that guide book. I need another one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no idea what kind of ferns you have there. Maybe silver fern?.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear something is growing in your garden. We haven't planted yet, and good thing too since it was frosty here this morning. Thanks for visiting and following my blog.--Inger

    ReplyDelete