Wednesday, April 20

Sloth

Not total sloth, but semi-sloth.
Today was supposed to be productive..tons of yard work and garden prep work.
  We cleaned the kitchen, made a few calls I needed to make, paid bills online, ran an errand..and then we sat on the couch and read the afternoon away. It was chilly, windy and gloomy..nice to be snuggled on the couch with books while the dogs and cats snoozed.

I ordered my Mutabilis rose from Heartwood Roses.
I'm on the search..again..to replace my Redoute rose.  The snow plow guy dumped a ton of snow/gravel in an area I told him NOT to use (ya know, where my freaking roses are).  Redoute was crushed.  No clue if it survived since it snapped off below the soil surface, but it was own-root.  Here's hoping.  If not, maybe my rose buddy at a local greenhouse can track one down for me again.  Deer ripped out the first rose and carried it into the woods!  I found it weeks after it vanished.  I've had the strangest problem with deer pulling new roses out of the ground..not just nibbling them!?
 Reason # 102 I looove venison.


Cheery, sunshiny spring photos? Not so much!




6 comments:

  1. oh, but your goldfinches are cheery, no matter if the sun is shining or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tallulah's with the deer. Of all the flowers and plants that I have in my yard, she chews on William Baffin roses and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good lord, that is so strange that the deer would drag the roses into the woods! We used to have a rose mound in our last place and I swear the deer would wait until the night before the beautiful buds were to open and then completely level every last one of them. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have believed the deer were uprooting roses (and just roses) until we watched a doe pull up two of them.
    I also would never have believed the weird smudges on my kitchen window were deer nose prints, until I opened the curtain one morning and nearly died from fright. Deer-against-glass before coffee was not ok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I envy a gloomy day spent reading on the couch all snuggled up with the critters! As much as I love the endless sunshine of Denver, that is one thing I don't get enough of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha Haaa Haaa your story about opening the curtains to a deer with his nose at the glass is cracking me up. Too funny. And some people think life in the country is boring... Never!

    ReplyDelete