Friday, March 18

Pileated (and other blather)

If you're a birder, celebrate with me.  I've been trying to get a pic of the Pileated woodpeckers that visit my woods.
If you aren't a birder, celebrate anyway dammit.
Crappy but triumphant pileated pic
It's the female..no red cheek stripe.

Because it's currently 64 degrees (!!!), I had to break out the gardening gloves and start clearing flower beds. I forgot how much I HATE to rake.  I'll swap almost any hideous job to get out of raking.
I made a tiny dent in the shade bed by the house...very, very small dent.
before

I swear, this is an After.  Found my nozzle, too! :|


Gardeners, what's your wheelbarrow/cart of choice?  I have a garden cart, like this..hate it.  It is awkward and cumbersome. 


Not to repeat last year's Tomatopalooza and Squash Extravaganza, I only planted a FEW seeds this year.  I've prearranged for someone to take any leftover plants.  We'll see how that goes!





Found this poor viola laying on some landscaping stones.  No idea how it made it through winter with no protection, but wow.  Tough!
OMG. Something green AND blooming.


Signs of other plant life



Signs we're all losing it and ready for Spring:
I will fake death until you throw the damned ball.










3 comments:

  1. We had a pileated woodpecker at my parents old place. He (or one of his descendants) came around every year and pecked the surrounding trees. We never got tired of seeing him.

    You're way ahead of me in the gardens... we're at least a month before we start to see anything coming up from the ground or think of planting anything.

    I have this wheelbarrow: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2EsqMk-5Nps/Sl5o_uq83UI/AAAAAAAAFB8/Q_YKvrppeMA/s1600-h/New+toy.JPG (Hope that works.) I like it because you can move it around easily, use it upright or tip it over so that the contents spill onto the "back". I've gotta admit, though, that I'm still having trouble giving up the old fashioned wheelbarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that wheelbarrow! Does it hold a good amount?
    I hate using a standard wheelbarrow on our hilly. bumpy yard- I swear I have no wheelbarrow driving skills. I end up careening around like a drunk, dumping things in my wake. I swear I saw a standard type wheelbarrow with two front wheels last yr in Lowes. Can't find it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pileateds and have never gotten a photo of one. They stay out in the woods. I heard one this morning that sounded like a jack hammer out there. Great photo! I'm jealous.

    Di

    ReplyDelete