Thursday, September 6

Score!

I haven't been able to discuss the garden yet.  I'm still in emotional recovery.

Blight and hornworms took most of the tomatoes.
Squash borers got the ..duh.. squash.
Something even ate an enormous pot of sage.  What the hell eats sage??
I found I can live without squash.  One or two and I'm fine.
Why do gardeners grow so much squash?  We spent the entire season sneaking excess squash to our friends and neighbors.
The tomatoes..oh the tomatoes.  10 varieties of heirlooms.
No pasta sauce, no paste, no juice.
*whimper*

For all my babble about keeping things green, next year...next year...I'm buying 500 gallons of Death Chemicals for those bastard bugs.

But...my best friend and now savior, Lacey...her insane neighbor is giving her bags of tomatoes!
I spent yesterday saucing it up and dancing a jig.
I sent a 4 lb container home with her, and put my half in the freezer.  Happiness.

Granted, Crazy Tomato Lady probably used ground people as fertilizer, but I DON'T CARE!
I have sauce.  I have access to MORE tomatoes.  All is well.

11 comments:

  1. Hello I have been missing you I have no idea where my day, month, months go. You make me laugh I have to stay here. Thanks. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me crackin' up! Enjoy your tomato sauce. Ground up people as fertilizer. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ground people as fertilizer - sounds like automatic meat sauce to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Squash bugs and squash vine borer got all my squash again this year! I even dusted the plants several times! Blight got my green beans and tomatoes after a couple of harvests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain in regards to the garden. Something came into the fenced off garden (we're assuming deer) and ate every.dad-blamed.leaf off of my tomato plants overnight. Grrr! No sauce here either.

    Thankfully you scored this year anyway with some free maters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your garden, but very happy to hear of your tomato glee! Then I scanned down to see news of Pig and for some reason I kind of expected it. Wonder how long GHs live anyway. Take care, you are a hoot as always! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm giving up on the garden! Weeds always take over! Deer always eat it! Then the drought gets what the others didn't get! It's useless and a waste of time! but you know we will try again next year but we shouldn't! lol

    I bought my mom a mortgage lifter tomato plant and put it in the ground right beside of porch. She is getting tomatoes galore off of hers and her plant is huge. It's the only plant she has. Maybe I should just plant one squash and one tomato at my house and see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squash bugs rampaged my garden and all I got were lousy inedible birdhouse gourds. Sigh. I may never recover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To me, the best homegrown tomatoes are the ones grown at someone else's home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before we started a garden, I used to sit back and wait for the end of season....and everybody was throwing produce at me. I was like heck yeah! Fresh veggies to can AND don't have to work in the garden WIN! haha

    ReplyDelete