Saturday, September 8

Glorious cold front! Oh, screw it.

I had plans today.
I intended to toss on a rain coat and slosh through the woods in the wondrous 65 degree temps.
Wind and rain and COOL AIR.
I was making my bastard chicken pot pies, with cornbread on top.
(no one wants to eat that shit when it's 98 degrees)
I intended to snuggle down with Michael after dinner and watch tv
(because for the past 3 months if he tries to cuddle I growl "get OFF me, you heat producing freak)


Michael had to get up at 4:30 am.
So, I hop into bed by 10 like a good little wifey..that way I can get up with him and get him out the door on time.
The man has slept through 80 mph winds and the strongest thunderstorm we've ever experienced.  He's slept through me running a chainsaw 30 feet from THREE open bedroom windows.

It's not too different from my normal schedule.  I channel the angry spirit of an 1800s farm wife.  I believe sleeping past 7 am is wasting half the day.  I blame my grandmother.

I start to doze about 11pm.
11:30- honey, do you know where my socks are? They are not in the drawer.
Look in the @#$% laundry basket of CLEAN SOCKS you haven't put away.
Oh..crap. I'm so sorry, babe. I didn't see the basket.  In front of the dresser.  I'm really sorry.

12:15
*click. click click. click. click click click*
Michael, what the hell are you doing?!
I think my reading light is dying.
So change the @#$% battery.
I should probably go to sleep.  I'll change it tomorrow.

1:20
Michael's arm is flung across my face.
I pinch him. He doesn't move.
I jab him in the ribs and he grunts, tightens his arm around my head and mumbles "love you".
Lies.

1:35
He's flat on his back, snoring.
He never snores, so this is extra salt in my wounds/fuel to my rage.
I believe he's intentionally snoring.

2:00
Dogs bark madly at something/nothing.
I fling myself out of bed, ready to take on invaders.
Michael snuggles into the pillows and makes a noise of contentment.

2:45
Michael's deep, even breathing is just pissing me off.

I gather pillow, blanket and dogs and head to the couch.

3:45
the wind screams up the hill and rain lashes the house. Incredible lightning pulses against my dry, red eyes.
One of the Altheas outside the living room decides to scrape the siding over and over.
And over.

4:00
Weatherbug alerts me to a severe storm
No shit, Weatherbug.

4:10
I give up and make coffee.



Now I'm too damned tired to slosh.
But by God, I'm making pot pie.









14 comments:

  1. we had a 'glorious cold front' come thru here last night! our very first cool morning (66 degrees!) supposed to stay under 90 today after a week of 100-103 temps. animals and i are ecstatic, to say the least!

    now, send some of your rain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I've been there and back. Twitchy, snoring hubby, noisy weather, annoying stuff happening instead of sleep. Ruins all kinds of plans to have a chipper morning.

    Sometimes after a night like that, and just when I've finally gotten to sleep, my well-rested husband decides to get up at 5 a.m. crashes about the house to get his act together to go fishing. Gotta be on the lake to feed the fish worms for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you poor girl. At least the cool weather is here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting!

    It stormed here (Ontario, Canada)last night. It's still blowing through bring strong wind gusts and rain in waves.

    Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just reminded me way I love to sleep alone.:)
    Hey...the "cold front" finally made it to GA. It is delightfully cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a glorious cold front come thru last night. CH wants to know where his pot pies are. Told him no pot pies for him cause he snores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are so much like us, I laugh like I am reading about someone writing who spied on us :)

    Glorious weather heretoo! I would love snuggle in bed with J during these 53 degree nights....maybe I should drive to Alabama and snuggle with him in his hotel room.
    Nah....it's freaking hot and humid there still! I will snuggle with Zeke :)
    Hope the pot pies were scrumptious!!

    xo, misha

    p.s.what app did you use for your slideshow. I lost mine somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha. been there too.

    now, if we could just get a little COOL front here...i'm not even asking for COLD...cool will do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, but who doesn't like POT PIE?
    In any weather…

    I have been away and wanted to get back to you Samantha from WV. Glad to see you are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I believe sleeping past 7 am is wasting half the day."

    Me too and it drives everyone else in the house crazy! I have been that way since I was a little kid...

    Anyhow, hope the pot pie was good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm enjoying this cold front too! We won't be having pot pie but....shepheards pie. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me laugh:) Enjoy the cool I am freezing I need to start up the wood stove. B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, I miss you! I hope everything is going good for ya. And that the dogs are ok.

    I basically feel how you feel, but in reverse time. (It's 1:30am right now...) When people wake me up early (read: before 10am), I am apt to growl at them.

    We could never be roommates. :)

    ReplyDelete