Tuesday, November 15

Celebration!

We're celebrating Michael's birthday today.

Happy Happy Birthday to the Ultimate Husband/World's Best Dog Dad/Our Superhero!


Every year, I'm ready to bust out my culinary skill and make something amazing for dinner.
Every year, he asks for...tacos.  Plain tacos. Not even homemade shells!

Every year, I want to do something fantastic for his birthday.
Every year, he wants a quiet evening at home with just us.
(not me.  I expect parades and fanfare and statues erected in my honor. Strangely, this has not gone as planned)

Michael has an insanely stressful day at work ahead (yeah, Happy BDay, babe).
Dinner and his comfy clothes will be ready and waiting.
Blueberry cobbler and vanilla bean ice cream to follow.
His weirdo choice again.  Where's the freakin' CAKE!?
Maybe I'll bake one just in case.
----
We're also celebrating the day we met...
We met 18 years ago today!
Eighteen years.  Holy Mother of WhereDidTheTimeGo.
My best friend was dating Michael's best friend. I got invited to his birthday party..single guy..single girl..
"HA!", I said. "I'm not going as the birthday gift.  Forget it!".  We see how that turned out.
I expected a hard-partying, womanizing jerk (like his friends)..instead, I met a quiet, gentle guy with razor sharp wit.  We've been together since that night.
I was 18 when we met, and my Gram hated every boyfriend I'd had (smart woman, they were morons).
She met Michael and said, "He's a good one.  He'll be there through it all".
Even my psychotically protective uncles loved him.
Sometimes teenage girls can listen to good advice!

Here's to you, Sugar, for being there through it all and celebrating the little things with me.

Happy birthday, Michael.

Thank you for....

Being silly and funny and ridiculous...

Sharing the bed with a horde

Being willing to drive 5 hrs so the dogs can play on a beach

Hiking, no matter how worn out you are..

Just being There for us.

Birthdays make me sappy.
My regularly scheduled sarcasm will return tomorrow ;)

24 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your man! You two seem to be a match made in heaven. Sending you many happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Michael!....and Happy Dating Anniversary to both of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Michael! :)

    I did a double take at the picture at the beach. I thought geez, What a big long tail Irie has. I never thought! But then I realized my error. Nevermind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a big sappy 'awww' to you and your sweetheart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a great man! The happiest of birthdays to your hubby!

    Congrats on 18 years too! Have fun celebrating tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Happy Birthday to Michael!
    He puts us with us together, that makes him a God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Michael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love your choice of bday menu, too!
    Let Sam eat cake! Ha!
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's a lucky guy.

    Happy B-day Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great birthday post...You are so in love and it's very touching...

    Have fun !

    - KAT -

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are both very fortunate to have each other. HB to your hubby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. Yeah you have a keeper just like me. We are lucky.
    Have a great celebration without cake what the ? B

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy B-Day to your hubby! Dinner sounds great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  13. He sounds like a keeper, but no cake! Really! My crazy husband is weird like yours and wanted pie this year... He got the pie but I wanted CAKE! lol

    Happy Birthday Michael! Hope you had a great one with no cake! lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Michael! I would take cobbler over cake any old day, specially if Sam is making it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday, Michael.

    Funny, my parents immediately knew (before I did) that my husband was *the* one. Just like your family....

    ReplyDelete
  16. belated birthday greetings.....
    he's cute too!
    (you forgot to say)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your husband and I have something in common. I always have tacos on my birthday too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday! I so get the weird requests for birthdays. I have a milestone birthday this year and my wife wanted to plan a fancy party. When I found out, I said I just wanted to go to the bowling alley with a few friends and family, drink a single beer and eat pizza. I'll have cake at mine though...

    ReplyDelete
  19. so you've been together half your life then! that's a proud achievement! were they "fancy" tacos, at least? fish perhaps? ha!

    have a wonderful celebratory weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy birthday to your superhero!!

    cobbler over cake would be my vote too!

    ReplyDelete