Monday, May 30

OUCH! Plus porches and blooms

OW.
Well..two OWs.  One wasn't mine.
Ow #1
spf 45 my flaming red a--..um..shoulders.
Sweatproof and water resistant? Lies.
I'm sunburned enough to cancel on my family BBQ.
  We mowed and string trimmed for close to 4 hours yesterday.  I think I would be less unhappy if we were playing instead of working.
We reapplied the sunblock, but obviously not enough.  Michael and I are fried.  At least I'm home for the day and can get away with wearing a sheet!  If anything touches my shoulders...yeowch.
Poor Ultimate Husband is at work.  I sent him off with a tube of sunburn relief gel.  LOVE THIS STUFF.
Ow #2
  My mom stopped this morning, so we're outside chatting...I notice bright red FRESH blood sprayed across the wall of the house, the back door and the porch floor.  What the HELL.
(I find it funny my mom starts examining me..I think I would know if I tapped an artery)
Strider, Happiest Dog on Earth, had wagged hard enough to bang his tail tip.  The blood spray was caused by Wag Action.  Good heavens, dog.  Zest for life shouldn't require a transfusion. Ow?!


  Not sure what we're doing for dinner tonight now that we're staying in.
Last night's dinner was really, really good. Fantastic.  Wishing we had leftovers at 9am.
 Modest? No.

Ina Garten's bastardized grilled clams, with fettuccine and a creamy white wine sauce
Yes, it needed more color and my sauce was messy and blahblah..photo bad, food good.


The wisteria is AMAZING this year.  I'm in love with it.
For now.  Until the blossoms fall and get stuck on everything and everyone.





I know the night photos aren't great.
The back porch is my favorite spot right now.  Great view of the gardens and bird feeders, nicely shaded and SO fragrant.
My big wicker chair is out there...wonderful spot to sit with a book and a glass of ice tea.  We've got a fan in the doorway (no central air in this old house), so it's never too hot.

  Speaking of porches, we've decided to make the front porch smaller when we replace it this week.
It's entirely too hot in the warm months to sit out there.  Miserable.  Like the face of the freakin' sun.
It was actually 84 on this day...check out the temps on the thermometer!
Yes, my front porch is a portal to Hell..and Henry is crazy about heat.  Or just crazy.
The higher temp is the probe temp.  The probe was resting on the porch floor for 15 minutes, while the main thermometer was in a semi-shaded spot.

Rather than invest in a roof or some way to shade it, I'd rather make it smaller and spend the money elsewhere.  It will still be big enough for the deck box and a few smallish chairs..and a pot of herbs.

I've got a rose blooming that I can't ID.
It was found at an abandoned house years ago.  6-8 foot arching habit, blooms once, very fragrant)...I would LOVE to know what it is.
Connie, are you out there?

It's propped up in an Althea so I can see the blooms from my window...the wind is blowing and my living room smells like roses.  Gorgeous!

11 comments:

  1. a portal to hell... ha!

    sorry you got fried!

    when you talked about blood spray, i just KNEW your dogs had killed a snake at your front door. we've had that happen twice when Louise killed 2 copperheads and shook them and made CSI work all over our front door, porch and siding...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch on the sunburn, been there done that and learned my lesson. Now I am very careful since the last time I did that it literally put me on the couch for a few days. Be careful!

    I had roses beneath my living room window when we lived in Arizona and in the spring when it wasn't yet blazing hot outdoors I could open the window and let their fragrance waft through the house.. Loved it!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor sunburned friend of mine hope you recover quickly! Poor puppy with the excited wagging tail Hope he heal fast! Wisteria is beautiful!Love the roses! I'm wishing I had more roses I just have a little yellow new one I need to take better care of.
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I feel your pain because I'm the only one in this house that gets fried like that no matter how much or how often or how high the spf I put on! I always burn! You won't see me outside when it's hot. I've already had my first pre-cancerous bump froze from my ear and not get to visit the doctor every 6 months to make sure I don't get anymore!

    I thought for sure you were going to say that one of your pups got that mean ole critter that you posted the other day! lol I didn't see that coming that it was his tail! I don't have to worry about that happening to 1 of my dogs because she has no tail! lol

    Your dinner looks yummy! I've never ever had anything like that before so I have no idea if I'd like it or not but it does look good.

    Hope your sunburn gets better! I'm not sure if this would help or not but you know they say that the Aloe in a bottle helps. I use that but I use the juice from a real aloe plant when I get burned from the oven. I wonder if that would work better than the aloe from a bottle? I also seen on tv the other day that milk is supposed to help a sunburn! lol Not sure about that either! lol

    Have a Great Day!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, exuberant tail wagging should not result in blood spurting injuries. The flower scents this time of year are so wonderful. Your dinner looks wonderful. I hope your sunburn cools soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, poor strider. and you. hope you survive the rest of the weekend.

    i love the contended look on henry's face, and your clams with fettuccine looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite part is the picture of those mussels! Yum!

    Really? Are you really fair? What brand did you buy? I'll have to make sure not to buy that brand of sunscreen! I don't really burn, but my hubby and my boys are much more fair skinned than me, and susceptible. I've been using Water Babies spf 50 so far this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, in the winter all I need to pass for Lily Munster is some black eyeliner :D
    Oddly, I tan quickly and deep bronze..even with constant sunscreen!
    I rarely burn, but when I do I don't do it half-assed.
    I don't remember what I used (I angrily tossed the can) but it was spray-on sport something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouch! for poor Strider, and Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! for you. I've never had a burn like that, but I'm cringing for you, just thinking of it.

    The heat on that front porch is ridiculous, but Henry looks as happy as a clam. That look on his face almost makes me want to join him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have heard that vinegar is good for a sunburn. You might smell like a pickle though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm fair skinned so I mostly burn adn peel....I use banana boat after sun lotion but your aftersun gel even LOOKS cooling. I must try that this year.

    BEAUTIFUL wisteria!

    ReplyDelete