Thursday, May 19

Chaos gardening

I overcrowd my green beans and peas..and squash..and tomatoes.
  Fine.  I overcrowd everything.
I change my mind 37 times a season and transplant when I'm not supposed to.
The dogs kept drinking my beer traps for the slugs, so I trained the bird dog to look for slugs.
There's a Hillbilly tomato slapped in a bed with peonies and wild phlox..and some roses..and wild delphiniums. And hollyhocks.  I should stop now.
I dig medium sized holes and stuff enormous Hostas into them.
I read "requires loose, fertile soil" and sneer "Welcome to shale and clay.  Live or die, suckers!"..and the plants live.

I have no idea why this works..why we have enormous hauls of vegetables and fruit, robust plants and very few problems.
If a Master Gardener saw my methods, I would get slapped in the mouth.. right before they killed themselves.

At some point my Chaos gardening is going to blow up in my face.
 I see two scenarios happening: every single plant on the property will die at once, or there will be a Great Foliate Uprising and I'll be murdered.

Make me feel better...what's your garden chaos?



--------------

House wren eggs!




A few more sky shots from yesterday...





Fog rolling in...

11 comments:

  1. 'welcome to shale and clay! live or die, suckers!' cracked me UP!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay - here's my garden chaos...

    I have a black thumb. Seriously. BUT!!! Somehow I have managed to grow rosemary because I refused to have shrubs - so I put lots and lots and lots of rosemary. I think it waters itself 'cause... well... I have a black thumb.

    ;-D LOLOL
    I love the thought of your chaos - all tomatoes grow better in flowers, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that your stuff thrives in chaos! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, you're ahead of me, in that you have your garden in.

    hostas i have plenty of. our yard is about 85% shade. i count myself lucky when we don't get mold on our tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I transplanted my hawthorn tree three times the first year that I had it. Four years later, it still hates me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. spider mites killed my ivy in a pot my husband bought me...geez how did I not see them? I have bad eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chaos is what life is all about!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think when the weeds outnumber the vegetable plants is when I start to feel pressured. I have clays soil too, and pulling weeds is like they are in cement. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hosta....did someone say Hosta! I'm a Hosta fanatic!!!!!!!! Just cant get enough of them.

    Nice to meet you Samantha from West Virginia! We're practically neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fun post!


    Aloha from Waikiki

    Comfort Spiral

    ><}}(°>


    ><}}(°>

    <°)}}><

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy crow, Tami! I didn't realize we were so close..about an hour apart!
    I'm trying to thin out my hostas..if you find a random pile of Hostas at the end of your drive, it wasn't me. ;)

    ReplyDelete